Monday, December 31, 2007

Verse of the Day - Revelation 22:13

[Jesus says,] "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End." Revelation 22:13 (NIV)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I have a confession to make. I have been getting really aggravated during our weekly Worship Team practice the last couple of weeks (for those who don't know, I play keyboard at my church). I walk away, saying to myself, I hate worship team practice...I hate worship team practice. And it's not any one thing or anybody -- it's just stressful. It's hard work, and very frustrating sometimes, for me. Praise God, when Sunday rolls around, everything works out for His glory.

So, am I just getting burnt out? It's true--I've been doing this for 8+ years with virtually no break (with the exception of the very occasional vacation week, or other special event that precludes the worship team). My leader even suggested we pray for God to provide a suitable replacement. So I ponder that scenario, and what it would be like to sit in the pews each Sunday. I think, yeah, I could use a break. But then what? Is that the answer, to step down? Or is there something in me that needs fixing?

I'm beginning to think the latter. My leader told me this weekend that he maintains his balance by keeping the Lord Jesus and our mission to lead our congregation in worship in focus. Simple enough. But that's something I think I've lost lately. Although I prayed for a good attitude before practice, I really hadn't prepared my heart for worship, nor set my focus on the Lord. I was just coming to do a job. No wonder my aggravation set point was low...

Jesus is the Alpha and Omega, the First and Last...He is everything and anything that we can think or imagine...He is above all and over all...He is height and depth, east and west. He is God, Creator of the universe, Author and Perfecter of our faith, and worthy of our worship--all the time. As believers in Him, we are called to love and obey Him, giving our best in His honor, giving Him the attention, giving Him the credit.

As I think about how I live (whether it's on my day job or my church ministries), I realize that it's vital for me to keep Christ first..."Alpha"... and last..."Omega" in my heart and mind, the source and the result. If I don't, it doesn't negate or diminish the reality of who He is, but it definitely plays havoc with my spirit.

I also need to remember that this mindset needs to be intentional. I need to be praying daily about where my heart and mind are at, allowing the Holy Spirit to sift through and weed out all of the stuff that gets in the way of the Lord being Alpha and Omega in my life.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this battle. I think we all, at times, struggle with our God-mindset. But let's be vigilant in our pursuit to lift up the Lord for who He is -- the First and Last. I mean, without Him, where would we be? I know I'd be in a world of hurt. So, I want to commit in 2008 to doing a better job of being all that I can be for Him, wherever He puts me, keeping my focus where it needs to be. I do this by praying more diligently...by consuming more of His Word...by laying down my agendas, and picking up His...by just spending time thinking about Him.

How about you? Do you need to make some intentional adjustments so that Jesus is First and Last in your heart and mind? The Bible says that's is where joy and contentment live.

Those who respect the Lord will live and be satisfied, unbothered by trouble. ~ Proverbs 19:23 (NCV)

But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit. ~ Jeremiah 17:7-8 (NIV)

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. ~ Mark 12:30 (NIV)


Love,
Joelene

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, Joelene, you are not the only one with the experiece of, "is this burn out/do I need a break." For me it is getting ready for Bible study each week with 5 year olds. You are also correct in that when you prepare your heart, the rest takes care of itself. This last Sunday I did take time before class to prepare my heart. And, I enjoyed God's spirit as He lead through the class time, not me.

Jeanne

Joelene said...

Thanks, Jeanne, for encouraging me and others to prepare our hearts for worship and ministry. Motive is so important. Why do we do whatever it is we do? With Him, we can do all things; apart from Him, we can do nothing (John 15:5-8). And God bless you richly, Jeanne, as you serve the precious little 5-yr olds!