Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Verse of the Day - Revelation 21:1, 3

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them." ~ Revelation 21:1, 3 (NIV)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We like to talk a lot about what it will be like for us when we get to heaven, when all is accomplished that God's Word says will be accomplished, when there's no more pain or tears, when we are united with Christ...

I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By your side

I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When your face
Is before me
I can only imagine...

[Chorus:]
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine...

I can only imagine
When that day comes
And I find myself
Standing in the Son

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine...
~ Imagine, by Mercy Me

But do you ever wonder what it will be like for God...?

Think about what it will be like for God to finally be among His people, to be with them. No more long-distance relationships, with the Holy Spirit playing the cellphone, and Christ playing the defense lawyer. No more grieving over our pain and poor choices. He will hold our hands and look into our eyes! He will be in perfect union with His bride, the church. No more sin nature to get in the way of communication, no more evil one to draw us away into spiritual adultery. His bride is white and she is with the bridegroom...forever in communion. Do you think God looks forward to that day as much as we do? I bet He does!

Since Adam and Eve fought and lost the apple battle (kinda like the Alamo..."remember the Apple?"), God has been fighting for His people, for His children. What a fight it's been, huh?!? I think if God could get tired, He'd be tired right now. We say, How long, Oh Lord, before this is all over? I think He has emotions, too, that echo those longings. And yet, His course for this world is set, and time marches on to the beat of a Drummer who knows when the time is right, and doesn't want to leave even one soul out who will come. And so He waits...and we wait...the whole earth waits...

For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are. Against its will, all creation was subjected to God’s curse. But with eager hope, the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay. For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us. We were given this hope when we were saved. ~ Romans 8:19-24 (NLT)

Jesus gave us a window into his heart about his longing for that day, too...

Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.
~ John 14:1-3

Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began! ~ John 17:24

"...when everything is ready, I will come and get you..."

Jesus is busy preparing for that day...are we busy, too? Are we growing spiritually and developing increased faith, in preparation for the wedding feast? Are we sharing God's love and His message of salvation and hope, so that others can be there, sharing in the feast, too? Are we actively pursuing authentic worship in our heart and mind, for that future day of celebration with our Lord, that day which has no end?

What a glad day that will be for all of us, including God Himself! But before then, we need to get ready and be ready. May 2008 be a year of readiness!

Love,
Joelene

No comments: