Thursday, May 22, 2008

Verse of the Day - Psalm 37:23-24

The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand.
~ Psalm 37:23-24 (NLT)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
godly
god"ly\, a. Pious; reverencing God, and his character and laws; obedient to the commands of God from love for, and reverence of, his character; conformed to God's law; devout; righteous; as, a godly life.

Reverence for God and His character/laws, and obedience to Him out of love and reference for who He is. That's a godly person, according to Webster's. And according to God, a godly person is under His umbrella.

Ever shared an umbrella with someone in a rainstorm? You have to cling together and walk the same direction in order to keep from getting wet! And it usually ends up with some great laughs as you attempt to avoid puddles and keep from falling...together!

God says I want that with you. I want you to enjoy walking with Me, in My ways, in My direction -- not because I need my ego fed, but because they are right and wise (I'm the God of the universe, remember?), and it is good for your soul. And I give you my commitment to stay with you under this umbrella. I won't steer you wrong, and I won't let you fall. It's called "relationship" and it'll give both of us great joy...

So, are you under God's umbrella? Have you decided that His ways are right and worth following? Has your heart fallen in love with Him, so that it is your joy to be where He is and obey what He tells you to do?

Interesting that Webster's doesn't say that being godly is following God's rules out of obligation. Motive for obedience seems to be a factor. hmm...

We all have a choice on how we walk this earth. Whether the sun shines or the rain falls, we have a choice to be under God's umbrella, walking with Him...or walking alone. All I can say is, watch out. You don't have a map, and you don't know what's over the next hill. It could be a dessert, it could be a storm. Go it alone, and you'll be in trouble, guaranteed. My advice: find God and stick with Him. Not only will you be safe, but you'll have a friend who sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24). And friends always enjoy a few laughs under an umbrella! :-)

Love,
Joelene

No comments: