Monday, December 22, 2008

Verse of the Day - Micah 5:2

Bethlehem Ephrathah, you are small among the clans of Judah; One will come from you to be ruler over Israel for Me. His origin is from antiquity, from eternity. ~Micah 5:2 (Holman)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...His origin is from antiquity, from eternity.

Usually when a baby is born, we consider that to be their birthday...their day of origin. And although I do believe that the origin of life begins at conception, typically it is their birthday that begins the marker of their life. Not so with Jesus.

No one in all of history has had markers of origin before their birth -- except Jesus. Why? Because He was not human like you and me. He was God become human. Here are a few more verses that spotlight His eternal existence...

"...Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."
"You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"
"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
~ John 8:56-58 (Holman)

Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased. Then I said, 'Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll— I have come to do your will, O God.' ~ Hebrews 10:5-7 (Holman)

I came from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I am leaving the world and going to the Father.

~ Jesus, in John 16:28 (Holman)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were created through Him, and apart from Him not one thing was created that has been created.

~ John 1:1-3 (Holman)

Does that really sink in for us when we think about and talk about Jesus, that He really is God in the flesh, and has been before all we can see, and will continue to be after all we see is no more? Or do we get caught up in the false belief that the manger was the origin of His existence?

Bethlehem may have been Jesus' human birthplace, but His existence is from eternity. May we worship Him this Christmas for the eternal God that He is.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: