Sunday, March 1, 2009

Verse of the Day - 1 John 3:17-18

If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
~ 1 John 3:17-18 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, I spent a lovely day off with a girlfriend of mine. We had a nice breakfast at Denny's, did some window shopping, had a healthy lunch at Olive Garden, and then enjoyed a showing of "Marley and Me" at the budget theater. What a great day we had!

On my way home, as I got off the freeway, I saw a young girl -- late teens or early 20's -- on the side of the offramp. All I could see of her cardboard sign was, "Lost my job..." I was sitting at the red light, and though I wasn't in the lane next to her and was actually past her, I pulled out my wallet, rolled down my window and called after her. She came between the cars, and I handed her a $5 bill. I said, "God bless you," and when she saw what I handed to her, her eyes lit up and she said, "Thank you soooo much! I've been out here for an hour, and no one has given me anything. I know I don't look real needy (as she looked at her modest jeans, t-shirt and sweatjacket), but I've been looking for work all day." I asked her her name -- it's Renee -- and said I'd be praying for her. She thanked me kindly for that. And then she was gone.

(I wish I'd mentioned my church name, so that maybe I might see her again if she ever needed a place to come, where people could love and help her. Rats.)

I drove away, reminding myself of the blessings God's given me and thanking Him for that, thanking Him that I could help someone else. And then the verses came to mind about what kind of believers in Jesus can we be if we see someone in need, and then simply say, "Well, take care...,"without doing anything to help. My mind couldn't pull out the Bible reference for it, but I knew the essence of the verse. Today's verse isn't the one I was thinking of, but the message is the same. John and James think alike...

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. ~ James 2:14-17

Years ago, when my son was a teenager, he shared with his dad and me that he'd given everything in his wallet to a beggar on the street. We asked him how much he gave. He said it was about $30. And I say this now, with tears in my eyes -- we chastised him quite severely for that lapse in judgment, that he shouldn't have given so much to a beggar, perhaps someone who was just out to swindle people.....HOW DARE I TELL HIM NOT TO BE GENEROUS TO PEOPLE IN NEED, WHEN HE FELT GOD WAS LEADING HIM TO DO THAT?!?!? I am ashamed of the poor example I gave to my son that day. Forgive me, Lord...

I know I've talked alot about this topic in recent weeks. I can't seem to help it -- God keeps bringing before me the idea of social justice, and our responsibility and our right to be a part of the solution. To be His hands and feet, by showing His love in tangible ways. I urge you to open your heart to those in need, letting go of selfish wallet-clenching and clock-watching. Things in this country may well go from bad to worse, and many have lost their jobs, their homes, and their hope. We need to help lift the fallen, as we have means to do so, amen?


Love,
Joelene

No comments: