Sunday, March 8, 2009

Verse of the Day - Psalm 146:5

But joyful are those who have the God of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God. ~ Psalm 146:5 (NLT)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone has a story...

A friend sent me an email yesterday, a link to an extraordinary video that shares the stories of people, one cardboard sign at a time. I'd seen this done before, and although very moving to me when I watched the first one, I almost didn't click on the link, but I'm glad I did. It really exemplifies today's verse, that joy does come to those who have God as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God... http://www.rhchurch.org/pages/cardboard-testimonies/

From attempted suicide to atheism to the uncertainty for parents with the news of fetal deformities, these people have a story -- what it was like to have no real help in life, and the transforming power of the Lord God to make a heart difference deep inside. You can't pay money for this kind of radical change, even if you tried...and many have tried. Money often only buys band-aids for life's challenges and trials. It can't buy what God offers.

God stands ready to change your life, to turn your mourning into dancing, from tears of sorrow to tears of joy, to know peace where there has been no peace, to have contentment when you've only walked the road of restlessness.

When I think of my story, I feel as if I'd have numerous cardboard signs -- maybe you do, too. But here's one from my life: "Lukewarm church girl gets pregnant.......Returns to God for life -- He never walked away from me." That was radical transformation for me, and it has been a blessed (if not always smooth) journey with me and God since.

If you are searching for help in troubled times, I can beg and plead and scold and warn you to go to God. But I don't have to do all that. Just open your eyes to the radical wonder of what God has done in the lives of so many people, people who make a decision to trust Him with all that they have. Then see if these testimonies aren't worth considering for yourself. Perhaps you, too, will have a two-sided cardboard sign -- self on one side, and God on the other. If you do, you'll never be the same. And you'll find that you wouldn't want to be, either.

God bless you as you consider your story, and how God can and does make a world of difference in it...

Love,
Joelene

No comments: