Sunday, March 15, 2009

Verse of the Day - Psalm 27:8

My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek. ~ Psalm 27:8 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I was 14 yrs old, I attended a national Covenant church camp in Estes Park, Colorado. It was amazing to meet so many kids from all over the United States. I met a boy there that I liked, and we seemed to connect rather well. Okay, I admit it -- I was smitten. Parting was sad, as he lived in Kansas, and I was headed back to California. On the bus ride home, he filled my thoughts, as you might imagine. But one thing bothered me terribly -- try as I might, I found it hard to see his face in my mind! That was awful! I could see the outline, but the details of his face escaped me. It was a rather torturous ride home...

A person's face is the essence of who they are. When they speak, we look at their face, their eyes speaking as much, if not more, than their mouth. When we recall friends, what do we see? Their foot? Their elbow? No, it's their face. It declares who they are, and for those who are dear to us, their face is precious, and we want to see it!

So, what about the face of God? How is that possible, huh?

We know from Scripture that God is spirit, and doesn't possess a body like we do. Yet Scripture references the "hand" of God, the "arm" of God, the "face" of God. How do we know the provision of His hand when it's not a hand? How do we feel the comfort of His arms when they're not arms? How do we seek the comfort and acceptance of His face when it's not a face? Good questions!

These are part of the unique relationship that believers in Jesus have with God -- created physical beings in connection with their invisible eternal God. We trust in His personage, even though it does not exist in a body like ours. That personage has all the qualities that we understand a Father to possess -- provision, guidance, love, correction. An earthly father would talk to us, look us in the eye, correct us with words and/or swattings, hug us, rock us, play with us. Because we are made in His image, we can understand that He functions in a similar way, except that in all things, He is pure and holy.

So, about His face, and seeking His face, what does that mean to you? Can you see His image in your mind? No, no one knows what God looks like. But in this passage, I believe it means that we seek to look squarely at Him, coming boldly in His presence to talk with Him. We need that interpersonal connection, and that's what we do with our friends and loved ones -- we want to talk to them, face to face. We want to look in their eyes and make sure that the relationship is healthy and intact.

I'm sure you've been in a relationship where something is broken. Do you want to look at the other person? No! And they probably don't want to look at you either. Looking someone in the face forces a connection, which can be very uncomfortable when there is a strain. Conversely, when the relationship is healthy, you LOVE to look at that person's face. There is a smile on their lips and a twinkle in their eye for you. And you return them gladly. Like I said, the face speaks volumes.

When we're obedient to God, as His children, He is pleased, and His face shows it -- we're not fearful of coming to Him and seeing a scowl. I pray that you are willing to seek God's face, to desire to share a healthy relationship with Him, in communion with your Creator, being able to look God in the eye through your obedience, living rightly by the power of the Holy Spirit and turning away from the things that go against God's grain.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: