Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Verse of the Day - John 15:10

If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love. That's what I've done—kept my Father's commands and made myself at home in his love.
~ John 15:10 (The Msg)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Guess this is the summer of re-runs! And I've decided not to feel guilty about it. :-) This VOTD, originally published on 7/14/08, spoke to me afresh today. May God speak afresh to you today, as well.)


How many of you have either been a rebellious teen, or had one? Can I see a show of hands?....hmm...seems to be a rather large consensus in the group here today.... :-)

There's nothing like a disobedient teenager to stir up a hornet's nest in a home, amen? I can say that, 'cuz I was one once. Rules? Well, let's just see if I can wiggle my way around 'em to get what I want. And what do you think that did to my relationship with my parents? Did they stop loving me? No, of course not. But, the intimate connection got whacked. Distance was created because there was something standing between us --

When you allow disobedience toward God in your life, you create a gap in the relationship. He says I can't even talk to you the same when you do this. You've got a bad attitude and you're disrespecting Me. Obviously, you've forgotten who's in charge, and I'm sorry for that, because now, you've distanced yourself from our closeness. Is the sin you want so badly worth all that?

Fellowship, I've heard (though not validated), comes from the idea of "fellows in a ship". Sounds reasonable to me. When you're in a boat together, you work together in harmony to keep it sailing. You're headed in the same direction, and share in the adventure. But if one person decides that they want to go East, instead of West, and decides to try switching sails or rudder, there's gonna be trouble. Suddenly, self has risen above the relationship. Now there is a strain between the two and chaos on the ship. So there the ship sits, floating aimlessly, while they could be going somewhere, together.

Selfish decisions always put oneself above God's ways, which He knows are best for us, and best for the relationship. When we choose to go East when God says to go West, the proverbial ship stops. He doesn't leave us or stop loving us. Please understand that. But the harmony...the intimacy...is gone.

I'm sure you've been a part of a strained relationship sometime in your life. Someone does something against the other, and all of a sudden, the chatty-ness is gone, and in it's place is short, civil conversation. The fellowship has been lost. Forgiveness and relational restoration is needed, and until the fence is mended, the strain remains.

A teenager that's not following the house rules doesn't like spending much time at home, do they? They know they're doing wrong, they know they've created a strain. It's just easier to stay away than face the sad look on their parents' faces. And yet, somehow, their selfish lifestyle is more important than resting in an good relationship with their mom and dad.

So, where are you in your relationship to God? Do your sinful desires in life keep your ship from moving forward with Him? Are you staying away from "home", avoiding your Father in Heaven, because you just can't bear to look in His eyes when you know you're breaking His ways, and breaking His heart? All of us sin, please know that. We all fall short, and go our own way. And the beauty of God is that He understands that, and still offers His loving hand of forgiveness and restoration, if we will lay down our will and be healed of that. Daily, we need to confess our self-led decisions, turning our back on them, and returning to the God who desires our fellowship.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

~ 1 John 1:9 (NIV)

Nothing is worth more than our solid connection with Him. No amount of sinful pleasure or pursuits can compare with remaining in God's love. You have a choice, whether to sail together with God, or let your ship float aimlessly, or worse, let a leak enter your boat and end up bailing water, instead of enjoying your adventure. I pray that we can value a healthy, intimate relationship with God over selfish thoughts and actions that threaten to strain that relationship.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: