Saturday, July 18, 2009

Verse of the Day - Psalm 119:4-5

You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed. Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees!
~ Psalm 119:4-5 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some people's idea of a relationship with God is that it's all about love. But that's not really true. It's about correction, too. It's about change. It's about being different than we are . . . and that rubs some people the wrong way.

Many people want God on their terms. They want God to accept them exactly how they are, in the sinful life they're living. But God says, Um, excuse me. Can I just take a moment to remind you that I made the universe, and I made you. I made the rules. You may not like them, but that's because they're holy and you're not. So, I ask you: Who needs to change? Me, or you?

But here's where the love component comes in. God doesn't want us to change -- to conform/transform -- because He's a meanie and an ego-maniac. He wants us to be in line with His ways because He loves us. Because that is where peace is. That is where growth is. That is where community with Him is.

If you had a friend who was stealing from the grocery store, would you simply say, "I accept you as you are. I do not want to change you, because that would be intolerant. That would be judgmental. That would be imposing. Just be who you are. Oh, and when you go to jail for your behavior, I'll come visit you. But I won't counsel you about change, because I'm your friend..."...?

If you had a friend who was bowed over 90 degrees because of untreated scoliosis, would you simply say, "I accept you as you are. I won't see medical treatment to change you, because that would be stepping on your rights to see the world through the eyes of the ground only. You are who you are, and if you're in pain from your debilitating disease, I will hold your hand, but I won't find a surgeon for you, because I'm your friend..."...?

Face it, folks, we have issues. We think wrong thoughts, we do wrong things. Are we audacious enough to think we are okay, and don't need change, for our benefit and the benefit of the world? Who are we kidding here?!? God, as usual, has it right -- we need His help. We need to humble ourselves and accept His Word as good and right and helpful and loving, instead of believing the lie that it's constrictive and mean and not fun. Satan, as usual, has tricked us.

When we humble ourselves before God and seek to obey His Word, there is peace...there is joy...there is blessing. I pray you can know these things. But it's your choice --

Love,
Joelene

No comments: