Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Verse of the Day - 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NLT)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There I sat -- in the dentist's chair at the beginning of what they said would be a 2 1/2-hr appointment for two crown preps. UGH! I've always dreaded the dentist, my teeth having given me trouble since I was very little. Well, okay -- I don't dread the dentist anymore . . . I mean, I don't need counseling before and after. But I wasn't exactly looking forward to this visit. And even though I try to stay relaxed, my hands and arms do get tense, as I focus on the repetitious pattern of the ceiling tiles and wonder why the dentist doesn't find a pretty picture to put up there . . . for those of us stuck in this awkward position for 2 1/2 hours. :-\ (Oh, and did I mention the rubber dam?!? Can I get an 'amen' as to how nasty those things are?!? Talk about claustrophobic!)

But an amazing God-thing happened during that visit. As my dentist began her work, I began to pray. And my prayer wasn't what I expected. I didn't ask God to help me get through this, to make the Novocaine work so I don't feel anything. I didn't petition God for anything. I just began to give thanks. I thanked God that He provided the resources for this expensive procedure. I thanked Him for giving me a job that 1) had dental insurance, and 2) that allowed me sick leave to get paid in spite of not working that afternoon. I can't even remember all that my spirit thanked God for. But it actually surprised me. It was as if the Holy Spirit was in control, and not me. Gee, what a novel concept, huh? :-)

My appointment actually lasted nearly 3 hours, and I was exhausted afterward. Additional Novocaine needed near the end of the dental marathon kept me numb for another two hours, and when it wore off, boy, was I reaching for Motrin -- oweee! After a few days, the soreness was gone, and I almost forgot about my trials in the dental chair. But I still remember that experience of being thankful to God in the midst of a difficult circumstance. I feel like God gave me a gift in leading me there, teaching me how to apply this principle from Thessalonians to my life.

Ah yes, a great teaching moment between God and me. But then yesterday, something irritated me, and I didn't reach for thankfulness -- ooohhh, I reached for anger and resentment! Thankfulness was the farthest thing from my mind. Rats -- back to square one. Or maybe two. But the beauty of a relationship with God is that we get do-overs. I can still give thanks to God today in/from that experience yesterday, which pushed my irritation button instead of allowing the Holy Spirit to push my thankful button. I can still choose to have a thankful heart.

Being thankful in all circumstances is a hard thing to do. Cancer or the death of a loved one simply doesn't call up a natural response of thanks. But a humble heart that is tuned to the Holy Spirit can choose to honor God's sovereignty with thanksgiving. If we believe that God is truly in charge of this universe and our lives, we can thank Him for that. We can choose to see where He is working or where He may work in our lives and the lives of others through the difficulty.

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. ~ Romans 8:28 (NASB)

Do we really believe Romans 8:28, or don't we? If we do, we can open our mouths and thank God for His infinite wisdom and power, even though our puny humanity can't see past our noses. If we don't believe this, then we have some work to do in the trust category.

Thankfulness in the midst of difficulty is perhaps one of our greatest challenges. But the Holy Spirit will help us obey God in this area if we are willing -- after all, it is His will for us who are in Christ. Let's choose to bend our will to His will, and turn our hearts toward thanksgiving -- when it's easy (like at weddings and birthday parties) . . . and when it's hard (like sitting in the dental chair....for three hours....Thank you, God, that it wasn't four hours!)

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks unto the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son (repeat)

And now let the weak say, 'I am strong'
Let the poor say, 'I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us' (repeat)

Give thanks.
~ Give Thanks, by Henry Smith


Love,
Joelene

4 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Amen, Joelene.

You know that wrapping my head and heart around God's sovereignty has been on my heart for a while now. I find myself encouraged by how the Holy Spirit led you to phrase your VOTD today. It made a difficult concept clear and understandable, to those that will have ears to hear anyway. And even that's up to the Holy Spirit...

Anyway... good job, and thank you for your willing spirit and insights.

Joelene said...

Thanks, Mike. I'm glad I could be an encouragement to you, as you seek to understand our amazing God and His love relationship with us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for practical expressions of how to deal with life

A brother

Joelene said...

To: bleulobo

You're so welcome -- thanks for reading, and may you continue to be encouraged in your daily walk with God.

Joelene