Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Verse of the Day - Isaiah 26:3

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.
~ Isaiah 26:3 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, this verse popped up again for potential use, and I thought I'd written on it before -- I didn't realize it had only been 3 months ago (May 10, '08)! Yet, perhaps I needed to be reminded of these thoughts and perhaps they will speak to you also, whatever you are facing today. So many people are in difficult times, and we long for peace. I pray we can find comfort in God's amazing care for us, even when the swirling winds of uncertainty threaten to knock us off our feet. God bless you today.

love,
joelene

**********************

Steadfast. Not a word that's used too often. Well, except by me, I guess. But I'm a wordsmith, and I often use words that have gone by the wayside, replaced with modern vernacular (oops, i did it again)...um, I mean...modern language. And I talk "regular" like the rest of the world, too...don't get me wrong. I'm not a snob regarding the English language, by any means. But, words have meaning, and sometimes meaning is lost, to a degree, when we modernize them.

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! ~ Isaiah 26:3 (NLT)

When I read this verse today in the NLT, I didn't get the same sense as when I read it in the NIV. "Thoughts are fixed" on God just didn't speak to me like "whose mind is steadfast". Maybe it's just me.

When I think of being steadfast, I think of being rock solid...tenacious as a pitbull...completely committed -- the idea that there's no letting go. It's a posture, more than a practice. Does that make sense? I can try like crazy to keep my thoughts on the Lord during the day, and when I find myself frazzled and lacking peace, I could think Well, I guess I didn't do so well in 'keeping my thoughts fixed on God' today ... tomorrow, I'll just have to try harder. But steadfastness in God is a position taken, based on knowledge of Him, trust in Him, and commitment to Him. His Word says that this is what leads to peace. Peace given to the steadfast from the source of peace.

The prayer crew I meet with on Thursdays is praying for a guy who is looking for peace. This restlessness in his spirit has led him to leave his wife and kids to go find it. Not only is there a war going on within him, but now the wounded lie bleeding on the battlefield of his home. Peace...he's looking for peace. But he's not looking to God, so how can he find peace? God is the God of peace (Romans 15:33, NIV), and Jesus is the Prince of peace (Isaiah 9:6). We believe, because the Word of God says so, that people have peace only when they come to Him and cling to Him. When trust in God becomes their posture, as well as their practice. (I covet your prayers for the man I've mentioned, who seems to be running headlong in the wrong direction. Pray that God will open his eyes to His truth in all things, that he can find true peace in the Great Peace-Giver.)

If you are struggling with a restless spirit, or feeling fearful of the future, or wrestling with circumstances, I pray that you can evaluate your posture toward God, and see if steadfastness toward Him is lacking. And then look to your practice -- do you practice faith in Him, believing that He is the Supreme Manager? Or do you pray in desperation, and then worry and scheme to try to fix things yourself?

I give you peace, the kind of peace that only I can give. It isn't like the peace that this world can give. So don't be worried or afraid. ~ Jesus, in John 14:27 (CEV)

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 4:6-7 (NLT)


The posture of steadfastness and the practice of trust in the God of peace leads to peace.

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. ~ 2 Thessalonians 3:16 (NIV)

Love,
Joelene

No comments: