Friday, October 10, 2008

Verse of the Day - 1 Corinthians 15:58

So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.
~ 1 Corinthians 15:58 (NLT)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember when I first really read this verse (or at least, the first time I recall reading it), I was a part of an evangelism/visitation ministry at our church. And it hit me -- nothing I do in the Lord's name for the Lord's sake is ever wasted or useless. You see, there were so many times that we'd go out and no one would be home. Or they really weren't interested in talking with us. Or we had a wrong address and never found who we were supposed to find in the first place. Or whatever. Easy to get discouraged when we don't see "results", huh?

These verses remind us that it 's not our job to be concerned about results. Our job is to be available, move as God directs us, and let Him worry about the results. He assures us that nothing is ever wasted when we serve Him.

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
~ Isaiah 55:10-11 (NIV)

Some might say, well, I guess I'm not serving the Lord because I'm not in an evangelism program. Think again, my friends! If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, you are an evangelist - a witness for the Lord, wherever you go! You have a beautiful opportunity to share the love of the Lord and His gospel when you wait in the DMV line, while grocery shopping, when playing chauffeur to kids' activities, while visiting someone in the hospital. You are God's missionary, and your daily circle of influence is your mission field.

Trust the Lord to take the seeds you sow on His behalf and make them grow. Be enthusiastic and walk in expectation of results, but don't become discouraged if the seeds you sow are lilies instead of corn. Vegetable sprouts come up quickly; bulbs take months to surface. Different seeds, different soil, different climate -- God directs these things. Just sow the seeds, and trust the Master Gardener to do His job.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: