Friday, October 31, 2008

Verse of the Day - 1 Peter 5:8-9

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
~ 1 Peter 5:8-9 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many of you have read any of "The Voice of the Martyrs"? The Christian rap group, DC Talk, in association with The Voice of the Martyrs, Inc. put together a book called "Jesus Freaks: stories of those who stood for JESUS: the ultimate Jesus Freaks". I picked this book up several years ago at a K-Mart, of all places, when I had a lengthy car maintenance appointment. Boy, did I not know what I was getting myself into! I have been moved, over and over again, in reading the stories of persecuted believers down through the ages, how their faith held firm in the midst of mind-numbing, pain-wracking torture, often unto death. (for more information, see The Voice of the Martyr's (VOM) official website at http://www.persecution.com/ and DC Talk's Jesus Freaks website at: http://www.jesusfreaks.net/)

I have often wondered how I would respond in their situation, and I pray my faith would hold as these dear brothers and sisters in Jesus did, in the face of the devil's attacks. Yet, here in suburban America, my chances of those encounters seem very remote, don't they? Do I face attacks from the evil one that try to shake my faith, even though I don't live in a communist-oppressed country? You bet I do, and so do you.

How does our faith get rocked? What causes us to question God's wisdom, sufficiency and sovereignty? Health issues, financial struggles, death of a loved one (especially of a child or through violent means). Our woes don't usually come from the butt of a soldier's gun or a dank prison cell, but they are woes nonetheless. And they can take our eyes off of Jesus quicker than you can shake a stick, if we aren't "alert, and self-controlled", if we're not putting faith in the Lord above all earthly circumstances. In fact, these schemes of the devil can work to his detriment, if you choose to allow them to deepen your faith, rather than destroy it.

Resist the devil's attempts to weaken your faith in the Strong One! Keep your eyes on the Lover of your soul, and stand firm. Jesus will carry you through your trials, and will stand with you as you stand firm in your faith in Him.

Be a Jesus Freak where you live, as you live for Jesus...

Love,
Joelene

No comments: