Thursday, June 25, 2009

Verse of the Day - John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
~ John 1:1 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a pretty well-known verse to many believers in Christ. It declares Jesus' deity as God, which is the crux of our faith, because without His sinless sacrifice (sufficiency over sin) and resurrection (sufficiency over death), we are still dead in our sins and our faith is useless (1 Corinthians 15). But I've always honed in on the last part of today's verse about Jesus being God, and sort of bypassed the part about Him being with God. That clearly defines at least two parts of the trinity -- I'd just never really quite noticed that before. (That often happens when we gloss over verses we think we know so well -- it's a good reminder to slow down and allow the Holy Spirit to help us see things in God's Word that we may have previously missed.)

This concept made me think of an egg. Crack open an egg, and you have two parts -- the yolk, and the white. They come in the same package but are distinctly separate; yet, they are both egg. Thinking about Jesus being separate from the Father, yet the same God, is a concept that many have trouble with. And because they can't grasp it in their mind, they decide that it's bogus and not worth believing in. All I can say is, look at the egg. (Now where the Holy Spirit comes into play in the whole egg analogy is where it sort of breaks down...this just goes to show that God is bigger than His creation and we can't always fit Him neatly in our little analogy boxes... lol!)

Although I may have difficulty comprehending the separateness yet togetherness of Jesus and the Father, that does not keep me from believing it's truth. That's because I recognize that I am a finite, limited being -- created by One who is infinite and unlimited. His complexity no one can fully comprehend. But His Holy Spirit has come into my spirit (Ephesians 1:13) and confirmed the truth in me.

I choose to stand on the mystery of the triune God forever. How about you?

Love,
Joelene

No comments: