Monday, February 11, 2008

Verse of the Day - Exodus 35:35

"[God] has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them master craftsmen and designers."
~ Exodus 35:35 (NIV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I play piano. I've played piano since I was 7, when my mom trudged me down the street to take lessons from Mrs. Teresi in her living room. I still play piano, and some would say I'm gifted at it. I simply say I learned. Yes, I learned well, and became a strong technician at the keys, playing difficult music by the time I was 17 yrs old. I learned. But I didn't feel gifted. Not until much later...

Later in life, as I really turned my life back to God, I began to appreciate the art of music. Music wasn't just an exercise to complete, or a musical mountain to conquer...it was beauty. And it began to come to life for me, and I began to play at a different level...with expression, with heart. That was a gift from God. Sure, I realize that He gave me the ability to learn and the physical capability for playing, but the heart...that was breathed in by God as a supernatural gifting, as far as I'm concerned. People have told me that my playing speaks to them, and I know it's not really me -- it's God in me.

I was also never a writer in my youth, and I didn't go to college to get a degree in Communications. But God gave me a gift, as an adult, to write. People have told me that I'm gifted in this area. Where did that come from if not from God, huh? I'm not patting myself on the back; I'm patting God on the back, because it was all His doing. And I have used it to serve Him as He sees fit. I love it, and He uses it. A gift that gives both ways.

My pastor recounts how, as a youth, he HATED school, couldn't wait to get out of high school, so that he could be done! But a funny thing happened on the way to adulthood -- he got radically saved by God! And wow -- you should see him now. He's an academia nut! God infused him with the the call to become a pastor, and the desire to learn, to seek knowledge and understanding. He's kind of a maniac in the academic realm, now. That was gifting, my friend. (Okay, so some would call it a curse, not a gift...:-)

When you give yourself to God, He gives Himself to you, for the advancement of His Kingdom. You will be amazed at what He infuses you with, things you didn't learn on your own, perhaps things you'd never even thought of before. But God is God, and we're not. What He wants from us is a willing heart, willing to be used, willing to step out to the unknown, willing to love people for His heart's sake. The rest is up to Him.

And don't worry if you don't see gifting in your life. I think sometimes it works in the sub-layers of our conscientiousness -- but God is working, and He's working through His people. Just keep close to Him and live your life -- one day, you may look back and think, Wow -- God did that through me?

Love,
Joelene

No comments: