Friday, February 15, 2008

Verse of the Day - Matthew 6:19-20

[Jesus says,] "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy." ~ Matthew 6:19-20 (NIV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It's a fact -- the clothes, the car, the home, the jewelry...none of it goes with us into the afterlife...none of it. And yet we spent lots and lots of time accumulating it, insuring it, guarding it all as if we will. Are we any better than the ancient Egyptians, who buried their earthly treasure with them, believing that the dead would use it in the next life? Hah--the tombs of Egypt have been full of raiders for centuries, stealing the after-life booty that never made that eternal transport!

Not only can we not take all our stuff into the next life, but it doesn't bring real happiness. King Solomon said it well...

Anything I wanted, I would take. I denied myself no pleasure. I even found great pleasure in hard work, a reward for all my labors. But as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all so meaningless—like chasing the wind. There was nothing really worthwhile anywhere. ~ Ecclesiastes 2:10-11 (NLT)

Jesus wants us to get our eyes off of things that wear out, break down, and get stolen -- and to get our eyes on the eternal things that really matter...

Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love. ~ 1 Corinthians 13:13 (NLT)

In the same way, there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven’t strayed away!
~ Luke 15:7 (NLT)

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
~ Matthew 25:31-40


Developing your relationship with God and letting others see a life of faith and God's compassion through loving service is valuable on an eternal scale. These are the things that are unseen, yet of greater importance and value than $3.2m mansions and high-priced SUVs. When we really get a God-perspective on this life...about our souls and the souls of others...the 'stuff' just can't compare.

Just ask my friends, Eric and Barbara West, who in their retirement years sold their home and alot of their stuff and headed to Russia as missionaries. They have forfeited much in terms of earthly treasures, in exchange for alot of 'not much', along with harsh winters, government mire, and less-than-optimum healthcare. Why? Why would they give up the comforts of nice State-job retirements in sunny California, to spend their time hanging out with people on the other side of the world who are struggling to survive...on the outside and on the inside? Many might say they are crazy. They would say, 'Yes, crazy. Crazy for my Jesus.'

Jesus has a way of changing our priorities in life. His Holy Spirit speaks deep inside and helps us realize that 'life' is so much more than what our eyes can see. The invisible is gold, while the visible is cardboard. Those that pursue God's work, whether it be in Russia or the downtown homeless shelter or their workplace, are setting their eyes on the invisible...the hearts of men and women who need to know that there is more than this life, more than pain and heartache -- they need to know someone cares...the Jesus who loves them.

For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever. ~ 2 Corinthians 4:18 (NLT)

May we go out today and work on the invisible, through the love of Christ Jesus!

Love,
Joelene

No comments: