Saturday, April 19, 2008

Verse of the Day - Job 38:18-20

[God says,] "Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth? Tell me, if you know all this. What is the way to the abode of light? And where does darkness reside? Can you take them to their places?" ~ Job 38:18-20 (NIV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I love the book of Job and God's reply to a man with many troubles and no answers. It's rather "in your face", and it's not just this verse. It goes on...and on...and on. I encourage you to read how God lays it out on the table for Job. God starts out like this...

Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:
"Who is this that darkens my counsel

with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man;

I will question you,
and you shall answer me."~ Job 38:1-3 (NIV)

WOW! (I told you God got in Job's face!)

Sometimes we just need to be told "what for", you know? We just need "a good talking to", and that's what Job got.

God's response is so incredibly detailed regarding His creation. He reminds Job of how He formed the earth and sky, the rain and snow, and He controls when they come and go. He created the habits of all the animals, some of whom Job probably didn't even know existed! He gets down to the human level in verse 36... "Who endowed the heart with wisdom or gave understanding to the mind?" (NIV)

God says, Yeah, that would be Me. Not you. I am God, and you are not, so get over yourself. I am the Creator, you are created. I am holy, you are sinful. I am justice, you are justified---not by your own strength, but by My hand...

The LORD said to Job:
"Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
Let him who accuses God answer him!"

Then Job answered the LORD :
"I am unworthy—how can I reply to you?

I put my hand over my mouth.
I spoke once, but I have no answer twice,

but I will say no more."

Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm:
"Brace yourself like a man;

I will question you,
and you shall answer me.

"Would you discredit my justice?

Would you condemn me to justify yourself?
Do you have an arm like God's,

and can your voice thunder like his?
Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor,

and clothe yourself in honor and majesty.
Unleash the fury of your wrath,

look at every proud man and bring him low,
look at every proud man and humble him,

crush the wicked where they stand.
Bury them all in the dust together;

shroud their faces in the grave.
Then I myself will admit to you

that your own right hand can save you." ~ Job 40:1-14

Good works and right behavior may seem to us as valid justification for a trouble-free life. But God says that His justice is the only true justice...ours is short-sighted and prone to self-glorification and self-gratification. So what He does in us, and through us, is handed out through a divine filter that we simply can't grasp. It's no wonder that the book, "Why bad things happen to good people" is so popular, and its title has become a modern catch-phrase!

When we go through hard times, we want answers and we want relief. See what I mean about our selfishness? In our humanity, it's all about us. God said to Job and He says to us, It's not about you. There's a bigger picture here that you can't grasp. And this world is not based on works, good or bad alone, because I blend justice and mercy, and you will never be able to weigh them with holy scales like I can -- please don't try. Instead, trust Me to be who I am -- (in case you're not sure Who I am, read Job 38-42 again. It's quite detailed.)

Trust God...place your full weight on Him. Throw off human argument about why this is happening, or why that hasn't happened. Throw it off! And then worship God for all that He is, in spite of all that swirls around you. Make Him the focus of your thoughts and energy. Period. He is worthy of all praise, honor, glory, power, and strength! Period.

Humbling ourselves before God is a difficult process. But it is vital for a good working relationship with Him. When we are willing to submit to the hierarchy of God and man, life becomes more manageable to our feeble minds. When we fight against the hierarchy, we become confused and frustrated and angry.

So, which will you choose?

Love,
Joelene

No comments: