Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Verse of the Day - Psalm 139:15-16

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. ~ Psalm 139:15-16 (NIV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In Psalm 139, David marvels at God's amazing knowledge and power. God knows everything about us...where we go, what we're thinking, what we say...BEFORE any of it ever happens. And as we go about our business, there's no place we go that He's not watching. Even in the dark...the darkness of night, or a dark cave, or the womb...God sees and knows. David says, Wow, God, this is almost too much to handle -- You're blowin' my mind with who You are...

Nothing escapes His glance, nothing is formed without His foreknowledge, nothing continues to exist without His hand upon it. Does any of this blow your mind? Do you really believe in God's omnipotence, His omniscience, His omnipresence? Or does God not seem very big in your eyes?

I sit here in my bedroom this morning, looking at my beautiful mahogany dresser. Guess what? God designed mahogany with its rich, red colors, and He created the tree that provided the wood for my dresser. He could tell me exactly which tree was used and where it was planted. He knows the person who fashioned this dresser and gave them the ability to work with their hands. He knows every person who's ever put their clothes in it, including me. And He knows where this piece of furniture will travel far into the future. He is all-powerful, all-knowing, everywhere!

Does it comfort you to know this about Him? Or does it make you uneasy?

Sometimes we want God to see us, to know all that we're going through, to help us when we're hurting or in trouble. But sometimes we want to hide from God. We don't want to see His face when we're not what or where we should be. We have dark thoughts that rattle around in the cave of our mind, and we hope He can't or won't see what's in our darkness. But David acknowledged God's power and presence, and stood honest before God, desiring to be changed...

Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD, and abhor those who rise up against you? I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting
. ~ Psalm 139:21-24 (NIV)


Not only does God see our hearts, He loves us and can change our hearts when they're not in line with His character and purposes. But we must give God license to do so, because He won't force Himself on us. In love, He allows us to be awed by who He is so that we would want to seek after Him, to desire Him, to be like Him...

The God who made the universe and everything in it, who saw you before you were born as you cell-divided in your mother's womb, who knows how this world's story ends, sees you now...wherever you are. And He loves you! I hope you know that today, and that your knowledge of His greatness will cause you to fall down at His feet and worship Him, thanking Him for all He is and does, and that you desire to be moulded into His likeness, through the power of the Holy Spirit working within you.

Our God is an AWESOME God, amen? Then let us give Him the glory and honor and praise that is due Him in all we say and do!

Love,
Joelene

No comments: