Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Verse of the Day - Psalm 14:1

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." ~ Psalm 14:1 (NIV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I was just thinking about this thought yesterday, about people who don't believe in God -- one of my friends likes to say this: I'd rather live like there is a God and find out in the end that there isn't, than to live like there's no God and find out in the end that there is.

So, what is your answer to those who say there is no God? What do you base your claim for God on?

I think it's vital for Christ followers to have an answer for this, because so many people are searching. True, a lot aren't searching. Either way, if you spend time with people, you will hear a spiritual tenor from those who don't have a clue about whether there's a God, and if so, who is He? Buddha? Mo-hammed? The Great Spirit of the earth? The God within you? A person like you who became a god (and you, too, can do the same)?

Who is your god and how do you know he's real? That is a very honest question from people today, and I challenge you to have an answer.

Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it.
~ 1 Peter 3:15 (NLT)


Yes, faith is a funny thing. Difficult to back up with science. But the complexities of this world with its amazing balance, which science so brilliantly reveals, must come from intelligent design. There is no other plausible explanation for how a human brain works, or why there is gravity, or how there is a perfect mixture of air for us breathe, or a million other perfectly crafted plans in this world. I am convinced. Science has also provided evidence to support what the Bible says about physical history; therefore, I believe I can trust what the Bible says about spiritual history. The Creator God says He is the one true God, and there is no other.

For this is what the LORD says—
he who created the heavens,
he is God;
he who fashioned and made the earth,
he founded it;
he did not create it to be empty,
but formed it to be inhabited—
he says:
"I am the LORD,
and there is no other." ~ Isaiah 45:18 (NIV)

This same God foretold of a Savior who He would send to rescue the world from their sins (Isaiah 53). Jesus proved He was that Savior through all He was and did, every prophesy about Him fulfilled. And then He proved He was God, as God Himself and Jesus said, because death has no hold on the Almighty God. He said that I can be free from the chains of my sins if I will believe in Who He is and what He did for me; that is, to die on the cross to pay my sin debt. And I did. And when I did, my life was changed. The Holy Spirit of God came to live within me, and I am changed. Can I fully explain it? Probably not. Does my life prove the power of a God who can change a human heart? I hope so. He prompts me to live in a manner that shows others who God is...loving, compassionate, gracious, holy, just, faithful. This life is to in contrast to those who are spiritually dead...hateful, selfish, rebellious...who follow the prince of the air; that is, Satan.

So when someone says, "There is no God", can you point to your life and say, "If that is true, then who or what changed me?" Those of us who have had a radical turnover inside of us because of God know that externals were not able to make the change. Doing good deeds, piling on education, sequestering oneself from worldly influences, going organic and holistic...NONE of these things changes the heart, and everyone who's tried must come to the same conclusion. The heart of a person is spiritual and must be changed spiritually.

Human life comes from human parents, but spiritual life comes from the Spirit. ~ John 3:6 (NCV)

Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give peace to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid." (John 14:27), and I know that peace. Peace in my relationship with God through His forgiveness of my sins, rest in my spirit from guilt and striving to be "good enough", no fear of death. Can those who say there is no god claim these things? And aren't these the things that most people, deep in their souls, are looking for?

I am a witness of the reality of God, the one true God. I hope you can say the same.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: