Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Verse of the Day - Matthew 5:44

[Jesus says,] "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you...." ~ Matthew 5:44 (NIV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here is the fuller passage...

“You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect." ~ Jesus, in Matthew 5:43-48

This command is a tough one! We hear when Jesus reminds us of the summation of God's law with "love the Lord your God with all your heart...and love your neighbor as yourself", but then He throws in this wrench in the works! Love my enemy? Are you kidding? Do you know how hard that is? I just want to choke the living daylights out of them!

Actually, He does know what it's like. The Gospel books are filled with the retelling of Jesus' enemies and their constant badgering of him, their needling and planned entrapments. They feigned hospitality by inviting Him into their homes, yet really desired to dismantle Him and His ministry. Of course, they tried to use civility with their tricks, not normally resorting to outright violence in their hatred of Him. But sometimes they couldn't keep it under wraps, even trying to stone Him at one point (John 8). And eventually, they had their way with Him, and were allowed the gruesome pleasure of seeing the object of their hatred driven into the bloody ground.

Yeah, Jesus knows what it's like to have enemies...and He still tells us to love them, just as He loved them. Sigh.

I had a situation a few years ago, where God really laid this command on my heart. There was someone I worked with that simply seemed to have it out for me. The animosity was not even loosely veiled. At first, I complained. To close friends, to God. I harbored negative thoughts about this person, and generally dreaded all contact with them. I certainly did not make a point to be where they were unless I absolutely had to. It was a bad situation, and I was not happy. And then one day, God reminded me of the passage that Luke recorded...

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." ~ Jesus, in Luke 6:27-28

Do good to those who hate you? You mean, God, that it's not enough for me to just not do bad to this person? I need to do good?......ugghhh.

But I said okay to God. And I began to consciously, purposefully take the time to be kind to this person, speaking to them unsolicited, with a smile. A genuine smile. It wasn't easy to have a kind heart for someone I knew couldn't care less about me, but God gave me the will and the wherewithal to do it. And let me tell you something: God did a miracle in that relationship. There is no other explanation that will satisfy me. God did it! When I went on the offense to show love -- not just the absence of hate -- God began to soften this person toward me. It was one of the most significant examples of God's direct hand in my life that I know of.

And here's the thing: God didn't promise me that things would change. I really didn't expect things to change. I was simply obeying my Father...that's all. Just doing what He told me to do. And yet, people really are affected by love, the "go out of your way to be nice" kind of love. It's part of the spiritual dimension of God's universe, I guess -- the currency amongst the hearts of humanity.

I can almost bet that you have at least one person in your life that you struggle with, that you consider an adversary. Maybe they oppress you in your dealings with them; or maybe you are holding something against them. Either way, the thread of animosity is there, and you know it. God is asking you to rethread your needle with love and get to work. Make purposeful stitches of love and kindness toward this person, in active pursuit. God's in charge of the design of the garment He's creating by your obedience, so don't be concerned about how it's coming out. Just keep stitching. Lives will be changed, because that's how God works...through love.

And even if your enemy is still your enemy, you will be changed, becoming like a true child of your Father in heaven, who sends the sunshine and the rain on the just and the unjust. So, I challenge you today to get on your knees and ask God to give you genuine love for your enemies. Ask God to change your heart. Never mind the other person. You be the love initiator by the power of the Holy Spirit in your life. It is radical and goes against our selfish nature, for sure. But, hey, that's the point of God in our life, right, to get rid of that selfish nature, to show the radical love of God?

Love,
Joelene

No comments: