Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Verse of the Day - Luke 6:43-45

No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. ~ Luke 6:43-45 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I do every morning, this morning I scanned the KCRA Channel 3 website on my computer, to see what's going on in Sacramento and around the world. One headline grabbed my attention: "Knife-attack survivor is Homecoming Queen". So I clicked on it and read an incredible story, here in Sacramento, of a high-school girl who was attacked with a butcher knife by her own brother last March. The attack slashed her face, gouged out her right eye, and nearly severed her spinal cord, and she spent months in the Shriner's Children's Hospital recovering. This girl, who was liked by so many at her high school for her kindness and warm personality, said that she forgave her brother because "he just isn't right in his mind," and felt the attack was actually a blessing because "it brought a lot of people closer, more love around."

When I read this, I just had a feeling that there was something godly about this girl. People don't often talk about "blessings" if they don't have a God connection. So I clicked on the link that had a video about the story. What an amazing physical comeback from a near-death attack! Although her right eye no longer has movement or blinking ability, a large scar traverses her face and she is paralyzed, she still has a sweet smile and a hopefulness in her voice. As they talked about her dreams of studying psychology in college after graduation, she said, "God has a plan for me, that's what I believe...so I'm going to let His will be done."

There - I knew it. God is in her life! I just have to tell you that I cried like a baby after watching that video. God was evident in her life before she spoke the words, and no amount of trauma negated God's power in her life. She was so well-liked at school because of her great personality and disposition -- that's God made visible to her school community. And after the attack, she forgave her brother and looked with hope to the future, despite her scars and handicaps -- that's God made visible to the world! A good tree can't bear bad fruit...each tree is recognized by its own fruit. God bless this young girl as she looks to Him and trusts in His will for her life!
http://www.kcra.com/video/18054702/index.html

I recognized her fruit and saw God in her before she declared His name. Is that true for you and me? Are we bearing the fruit of righteousness -- that is Christ's righteousness -- in how we live, both in good times and bad times? May we cling to Jesus, the True Vine, so that our fruit reflects Him at all times.

(Oh, and by the way, the fruit she bears is being picked all over her school, even after receiving the Queen's crown at Homecoming. Her fellow students are now raising money to buy her a van, so that she can get around town. She bears good fruit and her light is shining. Praise God! I believe her testimony will continue to affect the lives of those she meets, as she's not afraid to give credit to God where credit is due.)

Love,
Joelene

2 comments:

shelly said...

Amazing, Joelene. It took me awhile to wipe the tears away as well. Sometimes I watch t.v. (as much as I can stomach) and wonder what our youth are thinking. This girl encourages me to know that many of our youth today have strong commitments to Christ and strong characters to match! I'm excited that this girl will be among the future generations!

Shelly

Joelene said...

Thanks, Shelly, for your thoughts. It is truly refreshing and encouraging, like you say, to see youth be light for Christ in their world.