Saturday, April 11, 2009

Verse of the Day - Matthew 28:5-6

Then the angel spoke to the women. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I know you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen. ~ Matthew 28:5-6 (NLT)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is our church's community Easter Egg Hunt, and for the first time, I'm helping out. They said they need people who can be friendly and talk to parents, making them feel comfortable. And those who know me well know that talking is my specialty!!! (I sometimes feel I was born to talk, to the consternation of my mom and all my teachers of old. :-) It should be a lot of fun, and, hopefully, give kids and parents alike some knowledge about the real meaning of Easter.

One object lesson I've seen used many times for kids, is the idea of an empty Easter egg, to symbolize the empty tomb. I wonder how all the kids today at the egg hunt would feel if all the plastic eggs were empty? Hmm....not so good, I'm thinkin'. I'm sure they'd feel ripped off, big time -- I mean, after all, half the joy in finding the eggs is in finding what's in 'em, right?

Those at the empty tomb felt ripped off, too. They thought their Lord's body had been stolen. Somehow, despite all that Jesus had told them before He died, they never imagined that He'd rise from the dead. They didn't go to the tomb anticipating an empty cave -- the women had burial spices with them, for heaven's sake! They couldn't have been any more shocked than a kid who opens an Easter egg, only to find it empty. So the angel made it clear to them -- Not stolen, my friends. Risen, and alive!

Not the work of man's hands, but the work of God Himself. The power of God revealed in the resurrection of Jesus Christ. What He said He would do, He did. What He said would happen, happened. He truly was who He said He was -- God come to earth, to pay the sin sacrifice; risen to reign forever in the Kingdom of God.

The empty tomb isn't a sad thing; it's a GLAD thing! I hope you can understand and believe in the significance of the empty tomb. It's eternal hope in all it's emptiness!

Love,
Joelene

No comments: