Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Verse of the Day - Proverbs 13:10

Pride only leads to arguing. But those who take advice are wise. ~ Proverbs 13:10 (NIrV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever been so sure about something that you were willing to argue about it, only to find out you were wrong and had to back down and apologize? Grrr. That has happened to me more than I care to admit.

I often feel I know something is right or true, and I will argue the point! But guess what? I'm not always right. Rats! I think I know so much, but I don't know everything. But my pride will often go to battle for what I think I know. And I regularly have to bow my head and admit that I was wrong. Ever been there?

How much better to take the stance that although I may have some knowledge, I am wise if I listen to others and be willing to accept that I'm not right all the time. Hmm...

Pride mistakenly presumes that we are on top, that we know more than others, that we do whatever better than others, that who we are is superior to others. REALITY CHECK: There will always be someone who knows more, has more, is more. We are not the 'end-all'! We need to get over ourselves, and take a strong dose of humility if we're going to be successful in healthy relationships.

Pride says, Win every argument! Humility says, Why argue?

The next time your pride rises up to demand that you're right, stop and think about the possibility that you're not. Oh, and even when you are right, you don't have to make sure that everyone knows about it. Train yourself in the position of humility, in keeping with Jesus' example, and grow wise.

Love,
Joelene

2 comments:

Mike Jones said...

You are right on the mark, Joelene. I used to hear people tell me I was arrogant, know-it-all, and uncaring because of my attitude of always thinking I was right, AND my desire to prove it or argue the point each time. I didn't think I was arrogant, but others obviously did.

Over the years as Christ has worked on my heart, I've come to a different understanding, and it all has to do with loving others as you'd have them love you. As I've been "courting" Alene, one of the things I did was write a little poem with regards to love from 1st Corinthians 13 (yeah yeah, sappy and every guys does that, I know). But my point is, I truly think you are correct in your blog. Here's what I came up with.

"Love means finding the answers together, not demanding one way. Love means considering that the other just might be right, and I just might be wrong, and remembering that that’s ok. Love means valuing each other’s opinions."

In my mind, this kind of thinking applies in every relationship we have, be it romantic or not. Simple consideration and compassion dictates that we value each other and give consideration to each other in obedience to Jesus' command that, if we love him, then love one another.

Joelene said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Mike. I think your poem was beautifully crafted and on the mark.