Thursday, April 30, 2009

Verse of the Day - Psalm 51:10

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. ~ Psalm 51:10 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When stuff happens in our lives, we can really get messed up inside. We can allow alot of negative, sinful emotions to take root in our hearts when life gets tough -- bitterness, jealousy, malice, envy, hatred even. And what nasty weeds these are! They take root so fast and so deep, it can overtake your heart without you even knowing it (like the raspberry bush monster that invaded that family's back yard last weekend.)

And these sinful weeds can cause us to want to throw in the towel -- with ministry, with friendships, with our relationship with God. We sometimes just want to quit, give up, and say, "Sayonara, baby..." Hanging in there when the going gets tough is hard to do. Steadfastness requires commitment and courage, things we often struggle with. At least I do.

David acknowledged that he had heart issues, and he asked God for help in getting an overhaul -- cleaning out the sin weeds in his heart, and infusing steadfastness again into his spirit. He was not afraid to be honest with God and himself, to ask for God's divine hand in his life, to make changes that would honor people and glorify God.

Oh Lord, forgive me in my weakness, where I have allowed weeds of sin to invade my heart and where I've wanted to give up when times are tough. Please create in me a clean heart, and renew a steadfast spirit in me. Thank You for loving me in spite of myself -- I have issues, but I'm so glad You just smile and say, "Yeah, I know..." You are what I long to be like. Help me do that today, by Your powerful hand. Amen.

Maybe that's your prayer today, too. I give you permission to publish that on the wall of your heart -- no charge. :-)

Love,
Joelene

No comments: