Sunday, May 24, 2009

Verse of the Day - Hebrews 13:10

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. ~ Hebrews 13:10 (NLT)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe in evolution...of thought, that is.

I remember a time when I thought that Jesus had a beginning, and that beginning was the manger. I'd heard the Christmas story a million times, for heaven's sake! Despite the fact that we read and hear that Jesus is God become a man, it was a little different to actually assimilate that thought. But as I continued to read the Bible (Old and New Testaments), my thoughts evolved to understand more fully the fullness of Christ, the Messiah.

I remember a time when I wondered why Jesus had to rise from the dead. What was the big deal? But as I continued to study the Scriptures, my thoughts evolved to recognize that it wasn't so much that He had to rise from the dead, but that He couldn't help but rise from the dead, because death has no hold on an eternal God. He is as He was from before time began...God. My thoughts evolved and changed to embrace my fuller understanding of a God who doesn't change.

There are many things we may not understand about Jesus. But if we are willing to be taught by the Holy Spirit, He will teach us the fuller and deeper things of God. One of those mysteries is the nature and essence of Jesus. Our thoughts will evolve and change to embrace Him who is unchangeable. We can gradually grasp the concept of an eternal God who was from before time began . . . who conversed and conspired with the Father to salvage and save the loves of His life (humanity) . . . who took on flesh for one reason yet many at the same time . . . who battled the death of his flesh and the death of death itself on the cross . . . who rose from the grave to stand as the only one worthy to open the scrolls -- a lamb that was slain before the eternal throne of God (Revelation 5, one of my favorite chapters of the Bible!) . . . who sends the Holy Spirit to those here on earth who are willing to give up self in exchange for God . . . who loves the unlovely . . . who gives grace to the ungracious.

Mystery after mystery after mystery surround Jesus -- yet it is us who changes, not Him, when we are granted vision to understand these mysteries. I pray you take the time and energy to dig into Jesus -- read God's word, both Old and New Testaments, and evolve your understanding of the Christ who never changes, in a world of constant change.

Christ's constancy can be your comfort when change is chaotic. So evolve your thoughts about Him. Make the change to grasp the Unchangeable.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: