Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Verse of the Day - Matthew 25:23

[Jesus says,] "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'" ~ Matthew 25:23 (NIV)

= - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =

I think most kids want to please their parents. To see the smiles and hear the "good job, honey!" I remember, when I was little, making a collage for my mom out of junk I'd found on the ground. Pieces of glass, flowers, flip tops, popsicle sticks, etc. I glued them all onto a rather large piece of paper, and then carefully brought it to my mom. I just wanted to make her happy! I'm sure she stifled a chuckle when she saw the "beautiful" artwork I'd made for her out of a bunch of junk, but I know...I know it pleased her mother heart still. How do I know? Because I, too, am a mom, and what our kids do for us out of love is one of the most touching things in all the world.

Don't you think God feels that way, too, about His children?

A life lived in love with God that manifests itself in obeying his Word and serving others on His behalf is a life "well done". When we give our best to the Lord, even if it seems like a collage of collected junk to us, He is so pleased...He sees where our hearts are and where our efforts are placed, and it makes His Daddy heart happy!

I also remember the time, as a kid, when I was throwing rocks across the street with my friend, and one time a car was coming by. My friend said, "throw it!" and so I threw it over the car. Well, I tried to throw it over the car. Instead, I hit the windshield! The car came to a screeching halt, and who was driving? My piano teacher's husband from down the street! I was mortified, and scared to death, and ran in the house, crying like a banshee! Mr. Teresi did come back to the house and talked to my parents, and boy what a sad, little girl I was. My parents were not happy with me, and I felt awful. Temporarily, their pleasure in me was gone, and our relationship had a barrier. Because of me -- I had messed up.

We don't always get it right, either, in our Christ-following walk. Sometimes we think we can throw rocks without causing damage in this life, and when we hurt someone, we must fess up to our Father God. It is a humbling experience to know that we're fallen children who time and again make poor choices in this life. But God is such a good Daddy -- He loves us still. He often allows us to feel the sting of consequences for our missteps, because a good dad disciplines the kids he loves, but He never leaves us or turns His back on us, His children.

How much better is it to see the smile on a parent's face when presenting them with a love collage, than to see the frown on their face as you drop the rock out of your hand and try to say you didn't mean to hit the car passing by...

Live to love your God through obedience to His ways and service to His kingdom. That way, you won't need to fear His rebuke -- you'll be looking for His smile!

Love,
Joelene

No comments: