Saturday, March 8, 2008

Verse of the Day - Matthew 28:19-20

[Jesus says,] "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." ~ Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I confess that it took me a long time in my walk as a believer in Jesus to get off my keester and do something about this "Great Commission". I remember my early adult years...so much energy spent just trying to live the Christian life...trying to make it in a difficult marriage....trying to change my then-husband through the pounding of the Word. Wow. Very internally-focused, as if this was all there was to being a Christian. Me and my family. And the church -- well, that's where other people hear about God. Me, I've got my own stuff to manage.

I think maybe some churches also have this mindset....we've got our little thing going here, with our potlucks and our Bible studies and our bazaars. We're good with just each other and that's enough....

But God got my attention a few years ago regarding this gap in my walk with Him. It happened while I was the pianist for a FAITH evangelism conference at my church. I sat there at the piano and listened to one of our soft-spoken church members tell her story about becoming a part of this evangelism training program. And God spoke to my heart right then and let me know that I was not stepping up to the plate. And so I picked up the bat and eyed the outfield...

I'm very thankful that that training program was in place at my church. I went through it and the subsequent program. I was nervous at first, but the Holy Spirit was doing a work within me. I eventually became a leader and trained others. It's been a few years now, and I am a very different person with a different vision for God's kingdom, because I stepped out in faith and obeyed His call -- His great commission.

Implosion, or explosion. Which one describes your Christian walk?

I challenge you today to search your heart and seek the Lord regarding your call to make disciples...your call to teach others about Jesus. As believers in Him, we're all called...and we're all able. So pick up the bat and get in the game, because every run counts for eternity.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: