Saturday, March 29, 2008

Verse of the Day - Psalm 25:7

Forget each wrong I did when I was young. Show how truly kind you are and remember me. ~ Psalm 25:7 (CEV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Boy, do we do dumb things when we're little, huh? I've got a ton of memories of dumb things, wrong things I did that gave me trouble or caused me pain (sometimes on my backside!) Trouble is, seems like we sometimes keep doing dumb things, even as adults! Duh?!? Will we ever learn?

Life is a journey, and face it -- we don't always follow the right path. And in our human understanding of our divine Father, we can worry that our sins will be held against us. After all, that's often how people are...always bringing up our past mistakes...so, that is our natural reference point. And that's how we are, bringing up to ourselves those missteps and wayward choices over and over, replaying them in our mind like a bad "B" movie. When our idiocy and shame are brought before us by ourselves or others, I think perhaps we mentally stand before the throne of God again and again, hanging our heads and hoping against hope that God isn't as mindful of all our junk as people are. Please, God, remember ME, not my stupidity...those things aren't who I am deep down...or at least that's not who I want to be.

David's 25th psalm is a beautiful portrait of a contrite heart, one who recognizes his fallen ways and who desires and trusts the Lord's guidance in all he does. I encourage you to read it, and let David's attitude penetrate your heart. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalm%2025;&version=72;

And praise be to God! He is not like us -- His divine heart is able to forgive and not hold against us the misdeeds of our flesh, for those who love Him and cling to Him for forgiveness!

He does not punish us for all our sins; he does not deal harshly with us, as we deserve. For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth. He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west. The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him. ~Psalm 103:10-13

If you struggle with unforgiveness of yourself or feel the weight of guilt from others because of foolish choices in the past, please know that you have a God who is bigger than all of that, who only desires that you come to Him with a humble heart, ready and willing to be changed into the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. He knows you'll fall along the way, but when your desire is to know Him and be like Him in holiness and righteousness, you can know that He always has open arms for you.

"East To West"

Here I am, Lord, and I'm drowning in your sea of forgetfulness
The chains of yesterday surround me
I yearn for peace and rest
I don't want to end up where You found me
And it echoes in my mind, keeps me awake tonight
I know You've cast my sin as far as the east is from the west
And I stand before You now as though I've never sinned
But today I feel like I'm just one mistake away from You leaving me this way

Jesus, can You show me just how far the east is from the west
'cause I can't bear to see the man I've been come rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'cause You know just how far the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other

I start the day, the war begins, endless reminding of my sin
Time and time again Your truth is drowned out by the storm I'm in
Today I feel like I'm just one mistake away from You leaving me this way
I know You've washed me white, turned my darkness into light
I need Your peace to get me through, to get me through this night
I can't live by what I feel, but by the truth Your word reveals
I'm not holding on to You, but You're holding on to me
You're holding on to me

Jesus, You know just how far the east is from the west
I don't have to see the man I've been come rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'cause You know just how far the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other
One scarred hand to the other
From one scarred hand to the other
~ East to West, by Casting Crowns

Love,
Joelene

No comments: