Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Verse of the Day - Ephesians 5:1-2

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
~ Ephesians 5:1-2 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesus didn't just decide one day to become a man so He could come down to earth to check things out. He didn't say, "Hmm...I think I'd like to eat some food for a change and feel the sand between my toes...guess I'll go down to earth for a while and see what it's like to be human..." No, Jesus came for a specific purpose. A rescue mission for us was designed and carried out by God through Jesus Christ. A mission of love.

His whole life here on earth was prompted and propelled by love for us. There was nothing haphazard or nonchalant about it. He didn't say, "Gee -- there's a blind guy over there. I think I'll throw a little love his way and --BAM-- you're healed." Love for mankind was His driving force for all He accomplished. Very intentional, very lavish.

So Paul exhorts us to imitate God and live a life of love, as Jesus did. Hmm...how does that play out in our daily lives?

To me, it means that we let love for God and for others drive us. It is our motivation for all we do. It's not like applying love here, and there, like a squirt of whipped cream on pumpkin pie. Rather, it's like cream that's baked into the pie -- infused in all parts. So, as you start your day, rather than saying to God, "Let me be loving to at least one person today...", try saying, "God, fill my spirit with love for all people, so that wherever I go, my heart is reaching out in love..." Do you see the difference? Does this make sense?

Humanity is God's number one priority, and love is His driving force. I pray we can be infused with love from God for others. Listen in love, meet needs in love, share your testimony in love, counsel in love, pray in love. Be in love with people, as God is in love with people.

Jesus came on purpose, lived on purpose, died on purpose, and rose again on purpose. All for us, all in love. So, will you live like a squirt of whipped cream, doling out love here and there, or will you live like the cream that's baked in, making love your mainstay ingredient?

Love,
Joelene

No comments: