Friday, January 30, 2009

Verse of the Day - Mark 4:9

Then Jesus said, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." ~ Mark 4:9 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Selective hearing was quite the theme of God in the Old Testament, the fact that people had ears to hear, yet did not hear God's word to them...

You have seen many things, but have paid no attention; your ears are open, but you hear nothing. ~ Isaiah 42:20 (NIV)

Hear this, you foolish and senseless people, who have eyes but do not see, who have ears but do not hear: Should you not fear me?" declares the LORD.
~ Jeremiah 5:21-22 (NIV)

Son of man, you are living among a rebellious people. They have eyes to see but do not see and ears to hear but do not hear, for they are a rebellious people. ~ Ezekiel 12:2 (NIV)


Let's face it -- we hear what we want to hear, and don't hear what we don't feel like listening to. We do it with people, and we do it with God. Although it seems like a dumb statement to tell people to hear if they have an ear (don't most people have an ear....two, in fact?), the fact is that we can close our ears without ever putting our fingers in them or using ear plugs. We close off the mind that closes off the ears.

I wonder if the other rabbis talked the way Jesus did, telling them to hear if they had an ear. Did the words of the prophets of old ring in their ears when He spoke like that? Did they get the sense that this was God speaking because He sounded just like the God of the Old Testament?

I kind of hear Jesus saying, My point is that if you have an ear, this message is for you. So, look in the mirror and tell me if you have an ear attached to the side of your head. You do? Good. Then what I have to say applies to you. Don't turn around wondering if I'm talking to the guy behind you. No, I'm talking to you. You have an ear -- two, in fact. So listen to what I'm telling you, because it's for you to hear and believe and act on...

And His words echo in the Book of Revelation over and over in chapters 2 and 3, when He says through John, "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches..." I can't help but believe that the people reading this revelation of Jesus Christ would link this phrase back to the Jesus they'd seen and heard while on earth.

God knows that our rebellious hearts give us selective hearing. But we only damage ourselves when we put our proverbial fingers in our ears and say to God, "Lalalala....not listening....I can't HEAR you..." It sounds funny, but in reality, it's tragic. Those who choose to turn a deaf ear to the word of God are opening themselves up to a world of hurt. You know it, and I know. Because we've been there. We can testify to the harsh consequences of selective hearing with God. It's not pretty, is it?

Yet, today is a new day, and with the Spirit, we have new life. We have the ability to say to God, "Yes, I choose to listen to you, because I know that what you say is good and right and best for me. Yes, Lord, I choose to listen and obey..."

He who has ears to hear, let Him hear...

Love,
Joelene

No comments: