Monday, January 19, 2009

Verse of the Day - Genesis 1:27

So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
~ Genesis 1:27 (NLT)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is the national celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s 80th birthday (January 15th), and I have been struck most recently with the amazing impact that he had on this country.

I was born in December '61, a white girl raised in a suburban community in California. I was too young to hear first-hand much of what was taking place in the Civil Rights Movement. I was clueless about the struggles in the South (or the war in Vietnam, for that matter). I don't remember my parents being glued to the TV, catching all the latest national and international news and unrest. But then again, I was probably out climbing trees or riding my bike...

The point is that I never took the time as an adult to listen to this godly man, who simply desired God's kingdom values of equality in America for all people. I never fully absorbed the vileness of bigotry and hatred that spilled out onto an entire race of people in this country . . . perhaps there is no way for a white person to fully absorb it, I don't know. But I wasn't raised that way, to judge people by the color of their skin. Unfortunately, so many in this country have been entrenched in this mindset for generations. And Martin Luther King, Jr. stepped to the forefront and said it was wrong, had always been wrong. Wrong because God created all people in His image.

God loves all people -- we are all made in His image. And we are all sinful -- rebellious and in need of a Savior. And because God still loved all people, He sent His Son to give His life as a sin sacrifice for all people. Again, we are all on an equal plain. Grace is free, and grace is for all.

My son created a musical remix of a contemporary Christian song overlayed with snippets of several of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speeches, and as I listened to this remix on my iPod last week, tears came to my eyes, as I listened to a humble man of God, proclaiming God's love for humanity and our right and responsibility to be bearers of that love. This man was definitely a preacher of the Gospel of Jesus Christ! I challenge you to search the internet and read and/or listen to the God agenda that Martin had. He reminded us that social justice and godly love are intertwined. Or they should be...

I pray that we can do more than just say John 3:16 from memory, but that the reality of God's love for the whole world will invade our hearts and minds and transform the way we live, by transforming the way we love.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: