Friday, January 23, 2009

Verse of the Day - Galatians 6:2

Carry each other's heavy loads. If you do, you will give the law of Christ its full meaning.
~ Galatians 6:2 (NIrV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In this self-sufficient world we live in, we tend to run on a Catch-22: We don't want to share our weaknesses and struggles with others, because then people will think we're weak and struggling (ya think?!?), and that will reflect badly on our reputation (or so we think). BUT -- because we don't share with anyone that we're having problems, there's no one to help us get through our problems. So we sit on our proverbial couch with "trial" on one side of us, and "tribulation" on the other side, stuck in a rut watching proverbial soap operas and reruns of Andy Griffith. Catch-22, my friends . . . Catch-22.

Recently, I talked with a friend who I hadn't chatted with for quite some time, who seemed to have been very busy lately with "life". But my eyes were opened wide to some very serious difficulties she was having in the last few months -- I never knew!!! My heart ached for her, that she was struggling alone, keeping things to herself, and in the process, suffering a measure of depression over it all. Oh, if she had only picked up the phone and called me, or anyone! She said she felt the issues were embarrassing, not even wanting to share with family members. God did get her through that difficult time, but, oh, how much better it could've been if her loving friends and family could've helped carry the load...

How much do you think the average automobile weighs? According to Hyundai specs, my 2006 Sonata weighs 3,266 lbs. Hmm...do you think I could lift that vehicle by myself? (psst....that's rhetorical :-) But do you know that, if I were to surround my car with friends, I bet we could lift it -- or at least tip it up on it's side! Suddenly, 3 tons of steel feels like a sack of groceries...

The same is true for our weighty issues, be they emotional, financial, or physical. Speaking our needs helps others share our needs. So, we really have to swallow our pride and rely on the love of trusted friends and family, so that we don't walk this life and carry the load ourselves. The law of Christ is love, and in order for believers to fulfill that law, they need information. In the process, we learn humility. We need sharing to occur, so that together, needs can be met and Christ's love can be expressed.

I pray you can open yourself up to those who love and care for you, so that you can sense and know that you are not alone, that your burdens aren't too difficult to bear when you have help. Hmm . . . 3 tons vs. a sack of groceries. Which would you rather try lifting?

Love,
Joelene

No comments: