Saturday, June 7, 2008

Verse of the Day - Acts 17:24

The God Who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth. He does not live in buildings made by hands.
~ Acts 17:24 (NLV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was listening to a Christian music radio station the other day where the DJ said something to the effect that when we pray to God with a need, He "shows up" by our side to help us. And I thought Shows up? Where was He when I prayed...grocery shopping?...busy watching TV?...We talk about God being with us all the time -- how does He "show up" if He's always there?

I pictured God with a Day-Timer or a PDA, checking His calendar. Transmission of Joe Smith's prayer comes in, and God says Hmm....that's gonna be a tough one, Joe. See, on Tuesday, I'll be flying with Sarah on Flight 2345 from Atlanta to L.A., because she's stressed out and really needs Me. Oh, and then there's Bob in Cairo who is under a lot of religious persecution right now, so I'm gonna jet over there after I meet with Sarah. So, you see, Joe...I'm a busy God...take a number, please...

LOL! That's ridiculous, of course. Paul told the Athenians in Acts 17 that the God of the universe, who made all we see, hear and know, is not limited by a building, or anything else for that matter. And one of the most amazing parts of God's qualities is omnipresence, which is being present everywhere simultaneously. If you really think about that concept, it could blow your mind, so watch out. :-)

When I pray to God, He doesn't need to "show up", like a magic genie that pops in when summoned, but leaves me to go back to his lamp when a job is finished. He is with me because I am His child, always.

The Lord is the One Who goes before you. He will be with you. He will be faithful to you and will not leave you alone. Do not be afraid or troubled. ~ Deuteronomy 31:8 (NLV)

. . . I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.
~ Jesus, in Matthew 28:20 (NLV)

God doesn't have a Day-Timer. He doesn't need a PDA to help Him keep track of His appointments. He meets every appointment with every person who calls on His name, every time, all the time, at the same time. Our God is a mighty God, and time and space are meaningless to Him! Wherever you are, whether flying over Atlanta or living in Cairo -- He is there! And He's also there for all of your other brothers and sisters in Christ, down the street and around the world! (here's a 'shout out' to my missionary friends in Russia -- Hey, Eric and Barbara! Be encouraged -- God is with you right now, just like He's with me right now! AMEN!)

I hope that God's omnipresence is an encouragement to you today. Believe in His power to be with you in all that you face, whenever and wherever you face it. He is the God of the universe, without limitations of any kind. And He loves His children -- wherever they are. Call on Him day or night -- He's not asleep or tied up with another appointment. He's at your side 24/7!

Love,
Joelene

No comments: