Friday, June 20, 2008

Verse of the Day - Mark 8:36

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” ~ Mark 8:36 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesus gets pretty pointed in this passage in Mark. Read this verse in context...

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." ~ Mark 8:34-38 (NIV)

He says Get your priorities straight, people. Living is about dying...dying to self, and living for Me. Your life axis must revolve around Me, not your own self-made existence. Until you understand that life without Me is spiritual death, you are building your castles in the sand, and you're gonna be ruined in the end. Flip your thinking upside down...give up your life and take hold of My life. That's where REAL LIVING begins and never ends!

Paul the Apostle echoed Jesus' words...

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
~ Galatians 2:20 (NIV)

So, what--and who--are we living for? Ourselves, or God? Do we strive for that six-figure income, the big house in the exclusive neighborhood, those vacations to exotic resorts? Do we live for and rely on personal relationships as our everything, as if we will just die if we don't have so-and-so in our lives? Are we consumed with being in the spotlight and making a name for ourselves, so that everyone will clap their hands and praise us for the great people that we are?

...ourselves, or God?

God says we need to choose. Our way, or His way. Selfish ambition, or God ambition.

I think that most folks who claim to be followers of Jesus would say that they live for God...or try to. They understand the concept of denying oneself, taking up their cross, and following Jesus daily. But living that concept is tough. It's a radical way of life, where we lay down our selfish desires, our ego, our agenda, and are willing to completely exalt Jesus in all we do. He becomes the banner we carry, He becomes the Master we serve, He becomes our purpose for living. We die to self, and live for God. It's radical, but it's required for a real relationship with Him.

When we come to the decision that God has to be a part of our lives, He says Great! But I'm not going to be just a part of your life....I'm going to be your life.

Giving up what we want to do and be is really the crux of being a Christ follower. Give it up, and you get it all. Not the temporal things of this world that go up in smoke or get swept away in the wind, but the eternal stuff that really matters...a soul that is rescued from sin and death, a heart that can truly love and be loved, compassion for people and joy for the Lord.

This is the picture of someone who lays their life before God and picks up their cross of self-sacrifice. And in that sacrifice is real life. Eternal life. I pray that when you examine yourself, this is the picture you see in your spiritual mirror...

Living for Jesus, a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.

Refrain:
Jesus, Lord and Savior, I give myself to Thee,

For Thou, in Thy atonement, didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master, my heart shall be Thy throne;
My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone.

Living for Jesus Who died in my place,

Bearing on Calv’ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.

Living for Jesus, wherever I am,

Doing each duty in His holy Name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.

Living for Jesus through earth’s little while,

My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.
~ Living for Jesus, by Thomas Chisholm, 1917


Love,
Joelene

No comments: