Sunday, June 29, 2008

Verse of the Day - Luke 4:18-19

"The Lord has put his Spirit in me, because he appointed me to tell the Good News to the poor. He has sent me to tell the captives they are free and to tell the blind that they can see again— Isaiah 61:1. God sent me to free those who have been treated unfairly — Isaiah 8:6, and to announce the time when the Lord will show his kindness." — Isaiah 61:2 ~ Luke 4:18-19 (NLV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Often, we can read this passage and take this spiritually, that Jesus was addressing the spiritual poverty, bondage and oppression of the world. And this is true. Jesus was a great preacher and teacher of spiritual matters. He cut to the chase many times on the hearts of men, causing them to think about what's really going on on the inside. Many didn't like His meddling in the deep parts of who they were, either because they were so steeped in their selfish lifestyle, or they just couldn't handle the truth...too painful. Others were convicted of their godless life and turned from their sin and turned toward God. Saved from the chains of evil, healed from their spiritual blindness, rescued from the heavy weight of self.

But Jesus loves the whole person. He didn't just look at the physical condition of the people around Him and say...

~ Whoa, that's a really messed up leg you've got there. Dude, how do you even walk? That's a cryin' shame, I tell ya. Got any friends that can help you? Well, take care -- I hope things get better for you. But here, take this tract and learn about my Father's love for you...

~ Wow, what happened to your wardrobe? You must be homeless...all dirty and ragged and stinky! Get yourself a job -- don't you have any respect for yourself...? And when you get back on your feet, buy yourself a Bible so you can read about the good news of God's love for you...

~ In prison, huh? Well, I'm sure you're getting what you deserve -- if you rot in there, don't blame me! You made your bed, now lie in it. Peace, man -- God loves you...

Jesus didn't look past the physical plight of the people around Him. He looked their need square in the eye and helped them. Had they earned it? No. Did they deserve it? No. But that's not part of God's equation. He loves people and has compassion on them. All of them. What sin has done to the world affects all people. It causes pain, hardship, rebellion, disaster. And that breaks God's heart. Their soul is vital to God, but their earthly being is close to His heart, also.

Can we say that about ourselves, those who call ourselves His children? Are we concerned for the welfare of the suffering and oppression around us, or are we just concerned about their spiritual destiny? Are we willing to give to someone in need, or do we look them in the eye and say, "Sorry, I don't have any money (even though I do), but God loves you, and has a wonderful plan for your life!"

Do you see how hollow that response is? Do you see how contrary it is to how Jesus, the Son of the Living God, lived His earthly life?

He ultimately came to deliver our souls, to grant us an opportunity to get eternal help from our decay and destruction. And we need to be about that, too. But he did not discount the person and their physical life. Compassion speaks volumes to the soul. Love says You are valuable, and I care about you. My heart hurts to see you hurting. How can I help you today?

Can we say that we really love people this way?

Sin poisons the entire physical world, and we are all affected. I pray that we can open our hearts to allow God to fill us with compassion. For the sick, the dying, the poor, the lonely, the prisoners. When compassion fills your heart, you will be compelled to help. To reach out and lift burdens, to comfort crying eyes, to sit and just listen.

"Then the King will say to those on His right side, 'Come, you who have been called by My Father. Come into the holy nation that has been made ready for you before the world was made. For I was hungry and you gave Me food to eat. I was thirsty and you gave Me water to drink. I was a stranger and you gave Me a room. I had no clothes and you gave Me clothes to wear. I was sick and you cared for Me. I was in prison and you came to see Me.'

"Then those that are right with God will say, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You? When did we see You thirsty and give You a drink? When did we see You a stranger and give You a room? When did we see You had no clothes and we gave You clothes? And when did we see You sick or in prison and we came to You?' Then the King will say, 'For sure, I tell you, because you did it to one of the least of My brothers, you have done it to Me.'
~ Matthew 28:34-40 (NLV)

Love,
Joelene

No comments: