Saturday, June 21, 2008

Verse of the Day- John 3:17

God did not send his Son into the world to condemn its people. He sent him to save them! ~ John 3:17 (CEV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesus...

* The Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world...(John 1:29)

* The Good Shepherd who takes care of his sheep...(John 10)

* The One who lifts the fallen and does not condemn...(John 8:10-11)

And yet...how many people in the world don't really understand who Jesus is? How many think He's their judge, ready to slam them into spiritual prison, throwing away the key?

'Tis true, God's word says that He will judge the world...at His second coming (Matthew 25:31-46). But we are in the age of grace, where Jesus opens His arms out wide and says, Come. Be my people, and I will be your Good Shepherd. Believe in Me and My work on the cross, and you will be saved. I love you, and I want you to be with Me for eternity. Don't turn your back on Me now...turn to Me, and be forgiven.

If Jesus made it so clear that He was not about condemnation, but about love, mercy and forgiveness, why does the world feel condemned by Him? Is it possible that it's because His people condemn them? Is it possible that the world's skewed view of Jesus is based on those who call themselves His followers?

It is not for me to judge those outside the church. You are to judge those who belong to the church. God will judge those outside the church. ~ 1 Corinthians 5:12-13 (NLV)

I am so saddened when I see people, who claim to love God and follow Jesus, condemn the world in no uncertain terms.



And unfortunately, the world looks at one bizarre sect from Kansas and thinks they're a picture of all Christians. We may want to shrink back from even speaking Jesus' name in public for fear of being linked to such ungodly fanaticism. But, then again, we must look at ourselves soberly, and ask, Am I like them, Lord? Do I condemn people in my heart? Do I judge them, and ridicule them to my other Christian friends? Do I glare at people on the street when they display worldly behavior, instead of my heart breaking for their need for You?

Oh, Lord, You are a God of love and mercy, and we ask your forgiveness when we have gone out in Your name bearing the flag of judgment and condemnation. Give us love for the world, and show them who You really are, the Savior of the world. Without You, all of us are unforgiven in our sins. Help us to be ever mindful of the grace You have given to us who believe, and to show that grace in tangible ways to those who don't know You. May love be our banner, because Your banner over us is love...

Love,
Joelene

No comments: