Friday, February 20, 2009

Verse of the Day - Colossians 3:12

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. ~ Colossians 3:12 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so here it is, 5:58am, and I'm just barely starting on today's VOTD. I basically have no time left, because I've been dinking around on the computer for almost an hour. Sorry. My bad...

But not really. See, I started a small team of volunteers through a local volunteer organization, and I got an email that a new member signed up, and then I went on the website to make sure her signup was activated, and then I started looking at projects and what else our team could get involved in. (breathe....) And then I boldly and brazenly signed our entire team up for a May event (yes, they can decline if they want/need to...:-). Whew! Lots going on in my a.m. hours! And then I started my daily ritual of searching several sites for verses to choose from for my VOTD. And, lo and behold, on Biblegateway.org's web banner, was an advertisement for another volunteer organization, called ChristianVolunteering.org. Okay, Lord, here goes...!

So, I clicked on the banner and went to their website, put my zip code in, and, bam! Multiple opportunities to participate in Christian community outreach right in my own town. Dang, this loving and caring stuff is addictive! I found an organization called The Greenhouse, located in a low-income neighborhood in North Sacramento, and I submitted my name to be a "Studdy Buddy" for 1st- through 6th-graders, two hours a week! I'm excited to see how God can use me in helping kids learn and grow, and in the process, give them an understanding of who God is and how much He loves them.

Like I said, it's addictive! I hope it's also contagious. God calls us to pour ourselves out into other people, as dearly loved children of God. I hope you will consider becoming a volunteer in your community through the wealth of opportunities that are available through the internet. When you connect with other people in the spirit of our Lord, you're making an impact for good and for God.

I challenge you to ask God what He has for you in the way of helping others in your community -- about how you can be compassionate, kind, humble, gentle and patient to a world that has seen and experienced so many negatives, so many opposites of what God is all about. The love of God can and does change lives. Are you willing to be His hands and feet?

Love,
Joelene

No comments: