Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Verse of the Day - Psalm 18:1-2

For the director of music. Of David the servant of the LORD. He sang to the LORD the words of this song when the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. He said:

I love you, O LORD, my strength.
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

~ Psalm 18:1-2 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David had many talents and wore a lot of hats during his lifetime. One, I think, that we may forget is that he was a musician. He was hired by King Saul to be his personal musician very early in David's life, playing the harp to soothe the king when he was stressed/distressed, and went on to became a prolific song writer/lyricist. So, it's not surprising that, when he became king, he commissioned whole groups of musicians for the worship of God! (1 Chronicles 15)

When you read the psalms, you find that David wrote songs from his heart. So many of them were very intimate prayers to God set to music. They were relevant to David because he was expressing his life experiences with God to God, and to others. And I just wonder if this is part of what the Bible talks about when it says, "Sing a new song to the Lord..." (Psalm 96, Psalm 98, Psalm 149, Isaiah 42) Relevant. Now. Connecting with your current walk with God through music.

When you listen to worship music, does it help you recall situations in your life where God connected with you in a tangible way? Do you remember the times you walked away and then returned, to know again His loving arms? Do tears run down your face as you acknowledge His magnificence in your life? If you have a relationship with Jesus Christ, I can't help but believe all these things are true. And guess what? I believe all of those heart connections are 'new songs' to the Lord! Your heart is singing a new song each time you lament or rejoice in your spirit over yesterday's events. Or last week's events. Your relationship with God is active and present, and so is your communication. It's now. And so you create music in your heart every day for God. And with God.

You may not think you're a musician. Maybe you can't sing a note. But God created music, and He enjoys it! Most people do, whatever the genre. Somehow, it speaks to our spirits. So, enjoy listening and singing -- even if it's just in the shower or your car. Don't be afraid to make up your own lyrics to tunes you know well -- let your story become a new song! That's what King David did. And allow lyrics you know well to inspire your heart and mind to sing new songs of praise to God as you recall how He's ministered to you in the past and how He continues to work in your life now.

So, what's your story with God these days? Has He been a Rock and Fortress? Has He been a help in times of trouble? Has He been your strength and shield? I hope you can say 'yes'. I hope you can even sing 'yes'! Music speaks to the soul. I hope you can use music to inspire your heart to worship . . . whenever and wherever.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: