Friday, February 6, 2009

Verse of the Day - Luke 6:46

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?" ~ Luke 6:46 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's in a title, huh? Turns out, a lot, according to Jesus.

I remember being struck when I read this verse years ago - it pierced my heart with sadness, as I realized that I do what the people long ago did, giving lip service to His title and not honoring that role with my actions.

Lord is not Jesus' first name, just as Christ is not His last name --Lord is a title that acknowledges His authority over us. And we can use this title with quite a bit of flippancy, can't we? We love to use this term when we pray, but Jesus is asking us to search our hearts and evaluate His real Lordship in our lives.

Basically, don't say it if you don't mean it. Ouch.

Our new U.S. President is Barack Obama. We call him President Obama, because he was elected into office and that's what he is. But our relationship with God is a choice -- He's not elected into office by the masses and is, therefore, our Lord. He is not our personal Lord unless we personally and individually choose to put ourselves under His authority. He is not our Lord until we submit to His Lordship. So when we say 'Lord' to Jesus, He wants to know we mean what it implies -- our surrender to Him. Our surrender to His authority.

God's not interested in hearing us throw around lofty titles on His behalf. He wants authentic acknowledgment of His position in our lives. So, we need to check ourselves and see if "Lord" is just a meaningless title we throw around carelessly, or whether it's a meaningful proclamation of our surrender to the God of the universe.

There are a couple of songs that our church sings that help us remember Jesus' authority in our lives and our need to choose submission. May they be your prayer to Jesus, the Lord. May He be Jesus, your Lord...

Take my life take all of me
Take everything it’s all for You
Take my dreams take all my fears

Take everything it’s all for You
It’s all for You, it’s all for You...

Jesus, I surrender
Jesus, I am Yours

Take everything I am and make me new oh God I pray
Until all that’s left is all of You

Jesus, I surrender
Jesus, I am Yours.
~ Surrender (Take My Life), by Kelly Delp and Nathan LaGrange

******************************************

I'm giving you my heart, and all that is within

I lay it all down for the sake of you my King
I'm giving you my dreams, I'm laying down my rights
I'm giving up my pride for the promise of new life

And I surrender all to you, all to you
And I surrender all to you, all to you...

I'm singing You this song, I'm waiting at the cross
And all the world holds dear, I count it all as loss
For the sake of knowing You for the glory of Your name
To know the lasting joy, even sharing in Your pain

And I surrender all to you, all to you

And I surrender all to you, all to you.
~ Surrender, by Lincoln Brewster


Love,
Joelene

No comments: