Monday, February 16, 2009

Verse of the Day - Deuteronomy 15:7-8

If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. Rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs.
~ Deuteronomy 15:7-8 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used to have a hard heart when it came to beggars on street corners. They stand out there with their cardboard signs that say things like, "Homeless vet/hungry/any help is appreciated/God bless!", and I used to size them up and judge them as lazy con men and women. I was very tight-fisted with my money in their regard.

But something changed.

I can't tell you when or why my heart changed toward these poor people. But God changed my heart. Yes, there may be those who are being dishonest out there, raking in the greenbacks under false pretenses. But God has given me a more gracious, giving heart, a heart that isn't concerned about a beggar's sincerity or insincerity. Frankly, I don't think most people that don't need money would stand out on a corner in the cold rain with a soggy cardboard sign and beg for help. God tells us to help the poor, to have compassion on those without means to make it in this life. Have you ever thought that part of their need is heart-need? That they need hope besides cash? And do you think that possibly their hope might be aided by the generosity of others?

When I give at street corners, I always remember that God has given me so much -- I'm not rich, but I'm far from being poor, and I thank Him for His blessings. I am just one person, but God can use what I give for good and can multiply it like He fed the 5,000 with five loaves and two fish. So, I choose to humbly obey God and leave the results to Him.

I can't make you be kind toward beggars. I can't stop you from judging them because you think they're scamming. But I will simply remind you that God has a soft heart for the poor. And if you're reading this, you have a computer or access to one. You probably have a roof over your head and food in your stomach. By all accounts, you are richer than many people who use shopping carts for transportation and cardboard for their shelter. If they are outside in the elements of winter, they are cold and wet. And they're most-likely hungry. And God cares for them. He calls us to care for them, too.

Oh, and in case you're trying to qualify these verses as only pertaining to "brothers", such as other Christians, God was clear that the Israelites were to be kind, even to the foreigner, to those outside their race/religion. And Jesus had an answer for the qualifiers when he refuted the idea that a neighbor is only someone you're close to, in the parable of the Good Samaritan. Those in need are those we are should be kind to, whoever they are. Period.

We can be tight-fisted, or open-handed. We can be hard-hearted, or tender-hearted. Hmm...which pleases God, and which pleases self? If you find yourself on the tight-fisted, hard-hearted side, please know that God can change you, if you are willing. God can and will give you His heart, if you desire to be like Him.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: