Saturday, February 14, 2009

Verse of the Day - Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
~ Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so yesterday at work, I was asked to be on the lookout for some loaner medical equipment that might be arriving via FedEx or UPS that was needed STAT for an outer clinic. The hospital courier gal said she knew of their urgent need, so if these items came in by 9:30 or 10am, she could swing back through the hospital before heading to that region. I said okay, but I wasn't convinced the items would come in that day. I meant to talk to the technician in charge about it, but sort of forgot.

Around 10am, on my way back from the restroom, I remembered what she said. As I walked past the inbound shipping table, I thought about whether to go to the back of the shop and talk to this technician, or just head back to my desk and not worry about it. If they come in and get to the clinic, fine -- if they don't, oh well... That thought ran through my head in an instant. But God's spirit -- the word of God within me -- said, You should do the right thing. In that nano-second, I decided to head to the technician's desk to talk to him about it. At least I made an effort, I told myself.

When I got to his workbench, lo and behold, I saw all three of these loaner devices sitting on the floor in front of his desk! I was so glad the Lord prompted me by His Spirit to go check -- gladder still that I listened. I raced back to the front office and called the courier on her cellphone, so she could make the pickup and help this clinic with their operational needs. I also found out later that that particular technician was on vacation, so if I had not made the effort, that equipment would've simply sat their til Tuesday, and our customers and their patients would've been left without.

We are given the opportunity every day to make the decision to do what's right, and I believe that God speaks to people about those choices. I had a bit of a lazy, nonchalant attitude in my heart about the situation when the courier told me of the clinic's need. But the word of God came into my spirit and said, Is that really how you want to be? Is that really how you want to treat the situation? Oh, and how will you feel if you do nothing, when you find out you could've done something for the good? And so I listened and did what was right. It took me about 20 minutes to coordinate that effort, which was probably outside of my scope of work, and not in my agenda for the morning. But I listened to God, and rightness was served. My customers were served. God was served.

We often think that "the word of God" is just the Bible. But don't underestimate the living Word of God, who is Jesus. And He says, "I will be with you, even to the end of the age." He does that by His Holy Spirit that lives inside the heart of those who claim Him as Lord. I believe that the word of God is constantly speaking to us, getting down to the nitty gritty -- the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Because the heart is the rudder that steers the ship.

I pray you will be sensitive to the voice of God, as He speaks to you in your specific life situations. Allow His Word to make a difference in how you think and react, whether from the pages of your Bible, or through the lyrics of a country music song, or "the voice that isn't a voice" that you know is God speaking to your heart. Allow His Word to penetrate the layers of your heart and mind, to make righteous change on the inside and the outside of your life, for the glory of God and good of the world.

Let God move the rudder of your heart to steer your ship into waters of righteousness, peace and joy. It makes your voyage with God a beautiful adventure, rather than a tragic shipwreck.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: