Saturday, January 26, 2008

Verse of the Day - Joshua 10:13-14

...The sun stopped in the middle of the sky, and it did not set as on a normal day. The LORD fought for Israel that day. Never before or since has there been a day like that one, when the LORD answered such a request from a human being. ~ Joshua 10:13-4 (NLT)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Prayer can such a touch thing to get our arms around sometimes. We know God knows everything, so we think, why pray? But, by praying, we acknowledge that God is God, and we are not. It helps us remember that we're dependent on Him for all things. And, we're supposed to have faith, so we pray for things to be accomplished through His power, and when they don't happen, we wonder what happened. Was my faith too small? Was my prayer out of His will? Is there sin in my life that is hindering my prayers? Is He just not listening?

I wonder what gave Joshua the idea to pray for the sun to stop in its tracks -- was that arrogant? Presumptive? Praying for great things is a bold move, and I have heard some great testimonies of God miraculously moving on behalf of those who prayed boldly for God's mighty hand. Jesus said in Matthew 17:20, “I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible." So, then we wonder why Mrs. So-and-So from church dies after a car accident, even though many people were at her hospital bed praying 'round the clock---even the pastor was there!---and she still died. Too little faith? God's will to allow her to pass away?....questions, questions, questions.

God seemed to answer big prayers back in the Bible. The Red Sea stepping back to allow the Israelites to escape Pharaoh's army was BIG. Five loaves and two fish that fed 5,000+ hungry people with 12 baskets to spare was BIG. Stopping the sun in the sky for a whole day to help Joshua and his army to defeat his enemies was BIG. Where is our BIG?

Some would say we live in a different time, that God isn't choosing to work in the same way He did in Bible times. This may be true, because even though God never changes in nature and essence, He may work in many different ways at different times. Certainly His prerogative, don't you think? Do you think we pray small because we just don't think He'll answer BIG, "dumbing down" our prayers to match the times? Something to think about.

Prayer is a mystery. I don't understand it's complexities, but I do it. Why? Because God is my Father, and I ask for His wisdom and advice. Because He is my provider, and I seek Him for my needs and the needs of others. Because He is my defender, and I run behind His shield if I'm under attack. Because He is my friend, and I simply tell Him what's going on in my life. But I have been guilty of setting my sights short, of keeping my focus pretty narrow, when it comes to asking God to move, to intercede, to be radical. Whether God chooses to act or not, depending on His will, is not my concern. My part is to exhibit radical faith in a radical and mighty God---a BIG God---and to pray in that vein.

As we pray, God shapes us, by helping us understand His will and our motives. Don't stop seeking Him if you don't get what you ask for. Listen to the answers and ask for wisdom to change your heart desires to be in line with His. Let it be our prayer goals to be moulded into the image of Christ, to advance His reign on this earth, and to live a life witness that will draw others to His cross.

Pray BIG -- if He says 'no', He says 'no'. But if He says 'yes' - WHOA! I think the world can't help but stand up and take notice of the BIG God you serve. And isn't that where all things should lead, to His glory?

Love,
Joelene

No comments: