Saturday, January 12, 2008

Verse of the Day - Proverbs 12:25

An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up. ~ Proverbs 12:25 (NIV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Yesterday morning, I was walking into the office from the corporate parking lot, on a street sidewalk that is frequented by employees going to work. I was deep in thought about something, while trying to avoid stepping on worms and snails and such. A guy passed me up on the sidewalk, and he passed by, he said, "Good morning!" That woke me out of my thoughts, and I quickly looked up and returned the "Good morning!" As I watched him leave me in the dust, I realized that I did not know him. A total stranger passing by and saying, "Good morning"? Somewhat unusual when no eye contact has been made, I thought (he coming up from behind me). What a nice gesture! It actually made me feel good inside. It perked me up . . . and I wasn't even down! It made me smile and gave me a lighter bounce to my walk. I was cheered.

As I continued my walk (it's a rather long walk...8-10 minutes, and I walk pretty fast), a woman was walking ahead of me, at a slower pace. I surveyed her, and realized I didn't know her either. So, as I passed her by, I said, "Good morning!" And her reaction was the same as mine. Pleasant surprise, and a cheery "Good morning!" return.

It made me think of the Liberty Mutual Insurance commercial(s), where a nice deed seen is a nice deed done is a nice deed perpetuated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMwoexR1evo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw97CfZtyGw


It's easy for us to get wrapped up in our own little world, where the worries of today and tomorrow, at home and abroad, are swirling around in our heads...

* Will I meet that project deadline this week?
* I hope my child does well on her mid-term...
* Mom hasn't said anything about her doctor visit last week. Is she afraid to tell me something?

Sometimes, our concerns are valid...sometimes they're just worry. But we can get so swirly in our heads with anxiety, that we swirl right into the ground...and we crash and burn.

If we're sensitive to people around us, it doesn't take us but a moment or two to see or hear someone who needs help with the 'crash and burn' syndrome. A cheery "Good morning!" with a smile can do wonders. Or better yet -- take the time to encourage someone on a job well done. Say "thank you" often...and mean it. How about taking the time to listen to someone who's had a bad day or is really hurting over an issue? You don't have to have all the answers, but it's amazing what a genuine "I'm so sorry you're going through this..." can do to lift someones burdens. People need people, and having someone there to listen can lift that one-ton brick of anxiety with a feather of compassion.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. ~ 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NIV)

God has chosen you. You are holy and loved by Him. Because of this, your new life should be full of loving-pity. You should be kind to others and have no pride. Be gentle and be willing to wait for others. Try to understand other people. Forgive each other. If you have something against someone, forgive him. That is the way the Lord forgave you. ~ Colossians 3:12-13 (New Life Version)

So there you have it. God is the source of compassion, kindness and love. And we are called to imitate our Father in heaven, to be the outsource of His heart.



Be God's smiley face today!

Love,
Joelene

No comments: