Thursday, January 3, 2008

Verse of the Day - Matthew 26:41

[Jesus says,] "Keep alert and pray -- otherwise temptation will overpower you. For though the spirit is willing, the body is weak." ~ Matthew 26:41 (NLT)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Yeah, that's right -- it's the 3rd day of the New Year, and let's see -- how many weight-loss New Year's Resolutions have gone completely out the window, huh?!? Actually, I think the BCS Bowl Game coordinators are in kahutz with the Jenny Craig marketers! Yeah--think about it. I'm not going to snack in 2008...lose 30 pounds...no snacks in 2008...lose 30 pounds...(enter a commercial for yummy Tostito chips and salsa...yummy!)...go to the kitchen and find a snack, and sit down to watch more football...(enter a commercial for Jenny Craig where Valerie Bertinelli looks fabulous after she just lost 30 pounds)...put down the snacks...pick up the phone...put down the phone because you realize you can't afford Jenny Craig...finish the game and the snacks...

Like I said, it's a conspiracy. :-)

Jesus knows us so well. He realizes that we are fragile creatures, prone to wander, desiring the good, but bent on the bad. And so he gives us some wonderful words of wisdom, that if we can heed, will help us in this world of temptation. He says, "keep alert and pray."

Now I realize that he said this to His closest disciples (Peter, James and John) who had gone with Him so He could pray in the Garden of Gethsemane and had fallen asleep when He went away by Himself. But I believe His words that night are timeless and needful for all generations. I wonder how many times in subsequent years, when the 1st century church was under heavy persecution, did the disciples quote Jesus' Gethsemane words to encourage believers to stay strong under the weight of temptation to leave their faith behind. How many times have we quoted these words?

"...the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak..."

We often say these words, which recognizes the problem, but fails to acknowledge the solution. "Keep alert and pray". Our strength in overcoming temptation is directly linked to keeping our eyes open for traps from the evil one and staying connected to God through prayer. Bottom line.

When we go along in life, in a la-dee-dah, non-chalant way, we're just asking for trouble. Some of the most dangerous temptations are the most insidious. Just a small enough taste, so that you hardly notice. Just one brownie...it's not like I'm eating a whole cake. Just one beer...it's not like I'm drinking a 12-pack. Just one click on this XXX website...it's not like I'm hiring a prostitute...

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. ~ 1 Peter 5:8

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes....And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. ~ Ephesians 6:10-11, 18

You know your temptation hotbuttons -- I don't. And mine are most likely not the same as yours. Food may be my problem, but not alcohol. Yours may be too much TV or computer games, but not food. We're all created differently, with different bents. So, keep alert and pray...

Open your eyes to what it is you do throughout the day. What is it that floats through your mind a lot when you're not really thinking about anything in particular? What do you do when you're bored? And -- keep God in the middle of it through prayer. I'm not talking about the on-your-knees-in-the-dark-with-a-Bible kind of praying...I'm talking about walking-to-your-office, driving-in-your-car, strolling-through-the-produce-section kind of praying. Daily-grind kind of praying. We need God during these times -- don't leave Him back at home in a dark closet. :-)

And, yeah, we're gonna fall down. Even with all of our best intentions, we will slip up. I thank God for His grace and mercy in my weaknesses. He still loves me, in spite of all of my skinned knees and dirty elbows. He lifts me up, dusts me off and kisses my hurts. And then He says with a wink, "Okay, now, get on out there and break a leg!" Thanks, God -- I'm sure glad You're in my corner...I couldn't ask for a better cut man and trainer.

Keep alert and pray. Wisdom for the ages.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: