Sunday, January 6, 2008

Verse of the Day - Philippians 4:13

For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need. ~ Philippians 4:13 (NLT)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This verse has always caused me trouble, as it may have for others. I can DO all things through Christ who strengthens me? Hmm...let's see...

~ I'd like to fly to the moon
~ I'd like to live in Paris
~ I'd like to climb Mt. Everest

Okay, I really don't want to do those things, just so you know. But the point is, is that what this verse is saying? That whatever I want to DO in life, Christ will give me strength? That I can conquer the world if I just trust Christ to get me there?

I just don't think so.

If you read this verse in context, Paul is not talking about accomplishments in life...he's just talking about living, surviving, and preaching the gospel. He wasn't concerned with creating a world-wide conglomerate of tent-making franchises, so that he could settle down in financial security. He wasn't concerned with filling up his trophy collection with all of his achievements in life. He wasn't out to make a name for himself. He was in the God-business, plain and simple.

I see the word translated as "do", really as the word 'manage'. Here is this short passage from Young's Literal Translation...see if it becomes a little clearer:

I have known both to be abased, and I have known to abound; in everything and in all things I have been initiated, both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to be in want. For all things I have strength, in Christ's strengthening me... ~ Philippians 4:12-13 (YLT)

Paul says, "I've been really poor, and I've been well-off. I've run the gamut of financial situations, as well as the emotional and physical toll of each. And I've learned to be content with either, because Jesus has strengthened my spirit for all of these circumstances. I manage well either way, because of Christ's strength in me."

Does this make sense?

See, I think a lot of people use this verse as they strive for goals. If they are successful, then they point to this verse and say, "See, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." But, another person looks at them, and then looks at their own life. They see all the areas where they have failed to achieve, failed to succeed, and they think, What about me? what's wrong with me? I trust in Christ...is my faith not strong enough?

It is very noble to have goals, to strive for achievements in all aspects of life. I'm not trying to squelch this spirit at all. But we need to be careful not to use the name of Christ and His strength for our "do"ing. He can and will give us the ability/strength to cope under all circumstances, but He may not help us fly to the moon or give us a home in Paris. See the difference?

Many are living in very meager times, living paycheck to paycheck. Paul says that Christ can provide a supernatural contentment in the midst of very little, without begrudging God for their poverty. Some are living with a six-figure income. Paul says that Christ can provide a supernatural contentment in the midst of great wealth, without allowing greed for more to consume them. In both circumstances, Jesus can provide the strength for contentment and vision to stay on course for doing His business...that is, living in obedience to Him and being a witness of His gospel.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
~ from It is Well, by Horatio G. Spafford, (c.1873)

I pray that, as you lay your circumstances before the feet of Jesus, you can allow Him to give you contentment and strength where you are. Does that mean we don't strive for change, that we don't desire to improve, that we don't dream to achieve? I don't think so. God gives people vision and drive to make many great things happen in this world! It may not happen the way you think it will for your life, but God does not turn a deaf ear to our dreams, either. He is the Giver of dreams.

Our job is to live for today in contentment, wherever God has put us, by way of His strength to endure. Stuff happens and things change, for good or bad. But His strength can give us what we need to manage it well.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: