Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Verse of the Day - Psalm 42:1

As the deer pants for streams of water, so I long for you, O God.
~ Psalm 42:1 (NLT)


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thirst is a condition that screams for satisfaction. I was thirsty yesterday at work, and I couldn't even concentrate on my tasks at hand...had to get some water! How often are we so thirsty for God that we just have to take a drink through prayer and reading the Word?

I confess that I'm not often that pursuant of the Lord...like, meet with Him, or die like the dehydrated deer in the desert. Yes, I study every morning in His word, and ponder spiritual application. Yes, I pray throughout the day, like talking to a close friend. But the burning desire to consume Him like a big glass of ice water on a 100-degree summer day isn't always there. Maybe you can relate.

I think we go through seasons of being thirsty and being satisfied. Hungry and then full. I don't think we need to beat ourselves up if we're not always at some saintly peak of thirst for God all the time. But -- if you never seem to thirst at all for God's presence, His comfort, His wisdom...then I think you need to consider why.

* Have you built for yourself such comfortable surroundings, that you are never in need?

* Have you filled your life with the things of the world so much, that you don't realize God's not a part of it anywhere?

* Have you gotten into such religious doldrums, where Sunday is your token nod to God and you're okay with that?

This video may be truer than we'd like to think...
http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=ea475033e1edc0b28783

I think we all would like to be more thirsty for God, to desire connection with Him more closely, more consistently. So, what do we do about that?

* Being in a Bible study group really helps. It gets you into God's word at least once a week, with group discussion to spur thought. Hopefully, you spend some time during the week thinking about what you've learned and discussed. God becomes more of a regular topic on your thought agenda.

* Stay connected to Him through regular prayer. When I say 'regular', I mean consistent and plain-and-simple. Regular. Just be 'regular' with God. When your relationship with Him becomes 'regular', you will desire His company more readily and with greater thirst than when you were just acquaintances.

* Ask God for the thirst. Don't pretend you have it if you don't. Don't think you can't have it if you don't. Just ask God to give it to you, a thirst for Him deep in your heart and mind. Do you think He would withhold that from you, if you were serious about it?

Steven Curtis Chapman wrote a song about this type of thirst, in a song entitled, Magnificent Obsession...

Lord, You know how much I want to know so much
In the way of answers and explanations
I have cried and prayed
And still I seem to stay
In the middle of life’s complications
All this pursuing leaves me feeling like I’m chasing down the wind
But now it’s brought me back to You
And I can see again

This is everything I want

This is everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession

So capture my heart again

Take me to depths I’ve never been
Into the riches of Your grace and Your mercy
Return me to the cross
And let me be completely lost
In the wonder of the love
That You’ve shown me
Cut through these chains that tie me down to so many lesser things
Let all my dreams fall to the ground
Until this one remains

You are everything I want

You are everything I need
I want You to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You
I want it all to be for You...

Our Magnificent Obsession...God can be that to us.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: