Monday, September 1, 2008

Verse of the Day - 1 John 2:6

Anyone who claims to be intimate with God ought to live the same kind of life Jesus lived. ~ 1 John 2:6 (The Msg)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WWJD?

A very popular "campaign" started a few years ago, complete with jewelry, key chains, and bumper stickers. WWJD? What Would Jesus Do?

That's actually not a bad filter to use when going through our days being a Christ follower in this world we live in, (albeit the phrase has possibly been over-spoken yet under-utilized). But you won't know what Jesus would do, unless you know what Jesus did do while here on this earth. (psst...that means you need to read the gospels in your Bible... :-)

Jesus was and is the Word of God made flesh (John 1:14) and the exact representation of God (Hebrews 1:3). If we say we follow God, we must follow Jesus. He gave us innumerable examples of God's heart by living it out, day in and day out on this earth -- with people just like you and me and those we live and work with. God's heart was poured out through the life of Jesus, and if we say we are His followers, then we need to follow.

Matthew 5-7 is one of my favorite passages in the Bible -- talk about WWJD! http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%205-7;&version=51;

But emulating Jesus' life and ways seems a very tall order, doesn't it? Do you often feel intimated and defeated, even before trying? Of course you do! Trying on your own to be like Christ is like trying to cross the Atlantic in a canoe -- does the word "capsize" come to mind?!? ;-) But God, in His love and grace, does not ask us to do anything without providing us the tools necessary. Enter Stage Right: The Holy Spirit, who is more long-standing than "Cats" on Broadway! Jesus Christ Himself gives to all of His followers His Spirit, to challenge us, strengthen us, and mould us into imitators of Himself, our Savior. To walk as He walked and talk as He talked. We are not alone in our desire and quest for godliness -- Jesus walks and talks with us, helping us to be what God has called us to be, children of God pointing others to Him.

If we love Jesus and truly desire to be His disciple and learn from Him, we will study His ways, listen to His Spirit, and turn our will over to the Father -- so that, as we walk this planet, we can live as Jesus lived.

We can talk a great talk, but as the Word says, the proof is in the doing...

We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. ~ 1 John 2:3-5


"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other. ~ John 15:9-17 (NIV)


Love,
Joelene

No comments: