Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Verse of the Day - Isaiah 48:17

This is what the LORD says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.
~ Isaiah 48:17 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are some things that are pretty basic when it comes to knowing what is best for us. Things like not playing on the freeway and keeping fingers and toes away from hot, burning coals. (those were free, in case any of you were in question...
:-). Less obvious, but pretty common knowledge, are other things -- eating fried foods and sweets sparingly, exercising regularly, driving the speed limit to avoid a speeding ticket (hence the name...). But I am amazed at myself, as well as others, at how often we choose what's not best for us. It's as if we put on our personal dunce cap and run around in life like the TV-fabled Steve Erkel, saying, "Did I do that....?"




Last night, after I'd already had dinner AND brushed my teeth, I was called away to sub on a bowling league, which ended after 9:30pm. I was not hungry, but the munchie trigger was saying that something to eat seemed appropriate before going to bed. Believe it or not, I really wrestled with whether or not to stop at a fast food restaurant on my way home. I knew what was best for me -- God has been teaching me for a long time -- but my flesh wasn't sure it wanted to listen. So I prayed and asked God to give me strength to fight the temptation. And He was faithful to give me strength, as I drove past McDonald's and Taco Bell.

Sometimes we just don't have good sense when it comes to what is best for us, so God is there to teach us. Sometimes we just don't want to do what's best for us, so God is there to counsel us. But if we're not listening to His voice, we're liable to end up playing on a hot bed of coals on the freeway with french fries in one hand and a burrito in the other!

God loves us so much, and truly desires what is best for us. He stands ready to offer wisdom and counsel, but we must admit it -- we're often so self-destructive in our choices when we don't listen and learn from Him. Like the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him take his vitamins...." Oh, sorry -- is that not how the old saying goes? ;-)

Like I've said before, God is always speaking. He's always instructing...and guiding...and loving us. We are wise to listen and obey. It beats playing on the freeway, that's for sure!

Love,
Joelene

No comments: