Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Verse of the Day - James 2:1

My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others? ~ James 2:1 (NLT)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other day, as I walked from my office to my car, I noticed a woman ahead of me on the sidewalk, strolling along as she talked on her cellphone. I thought she must be on a break, because it was late afternoon, but she didn't look like she was going home. As I got closer, I noticed she was smoking. Ah, yes, she's probably on a break, because the hospital I work at is now a smoke-free campus.

Normally, I attempt to make eye contact with those I pass by and at least smile. But an ever-so-slight attitude crept up on me because of that cigarette. And I was going to walk on by her without trying to be friendly. Now, she was preoccupied with her phone conversation, so it would've been easy to just walk past her without any obvious snubbing. But, just as I passed by her, she looked up and smiled at me, so I smiled back. But as soon as I passed her by, my thought from God was that I'd transferred my distaste for cigarette smoke onto that person and decided to minimize her because of it. Ouch.

It's "little" things like that that God keeps revealing to me that shows me I favor people...or disfavor them. Why have I become so quick to judge others? It's really beginning to bug me. I don't think I used to be this way, but I have allowed the sin of pride and judgmentalism to enter my heart and mind, and it's a problem. Hopefully, most wouldn't notice it from the outside, as I hope I catch myself before words or actions follow my thoughts, because God is very quick on the draw to shine His spotlight on those issues. But, I really desire to strike this heart attitude from my being! I want to love people the way God loves them. I want to see them on the inside, and throw off the exteriors.

Yet, only God can do that for me. And for you. He's the only one Who can cleanse us of our sinful pride and arrogance, those heart attitudes that cause us to give special attention to those we like and snub those we decide are less than us. If we are willing, He will cut out the judgmental cancer out of our hearts and fill us with His Holy Spirit, who sees the hearts of people, instead of their habits or their hair-do's.

O to be like Thee! blessed Redeemer
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

[Refrain]
O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee,

Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

~ from Oh, To Be Like Thee, by Thomas Chisholm, 1897

Love,
Joelene

No comments: