Monday, September 8, 2008

Verse of the Day - Psalm 51:1-2

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. ~ Psalm 51:1-2 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow. I'm always amazed at how God threads together themes that He wants us to stand up and take notice of. Yesterday at church, the sermon was on the 10 lepers who asked Jesus for mercy and were cleansed, and only one came back and thanked Him. Our Sunday School lesson was on mercy and forgiveness (Matthew 21:18-35), and we discussed how a forgiving heart understands his own sinfulness and the mercy that God has given him; therefore, he is able to put that into perspective and recognize the fault toward him is tiny in comparison.

And now this verse -- David asking God for mercy and cleansing from his sin. Recognizing his faults as grievous to a holy God, and falling at His feet, asking for mercy --not because David did so many other great things in his life that they should cancel out his sin, but because of God's great love and compassion on him, a sinner.

Do we really understand our sinfulness? Do we really grasp how wretched we are, apart from God's cleansing? We ask for mercy when we have sinned against Him, the Holy God of the universe, and He does...just like the master did for the servant in Matthew 21. And then we often get up like that servant and refuse to have mercy and forgiveness on others in our lives who fault us...which can never compare to our sin against God. Or we get off our knees after receiving mercy from God, and never look back and even thank Him for His mercy.

Do we really understand the depths of our own depravity?

Until we do, we will have a less-than-grateful heart toward God for His love that forgives and His power that cleanses our filthy souls, and we'll have a less-than-merciful heart toward others who sin against us.

We also sang a song yesterday that so beautifully tied in with this theme...

Jesus, I've forgotten the words that You have spoken
Promises that burned within my heart have now grown dim
With a doubting heart I follow the paths of earthly wisdom
Forgive me for my unbelief
Renew the fire again...

Lord have mercy
Christ have mercy
Lord have mercy on me

I have built an altar where I worship things of men
I have taken journeys that have drawn me far from You
Now I am returning to Your mercies ever flowing
Pardon my transgressions
Help me love You again...

Lord have mercy

Christ have mercy
Lord have mercy on me

I have longed to know You and Your tender mercies
Like a river of forgiveness ever flowing without end
I bow my heart before You in the goodness of Your presence
Your grace forever shining
Like a beacon in the night...

Lord have mercy

Christ have mercy
Lord have mercy on me
~ Lord Have Mercy, by Steve Merkel

Let us see ourselves as we really are and bow humbly before God as we seek His mercy...then thank Him with a sincere heart for His forgiveness and soul healing. And then go out and be like our heavenly Father...with mercy and forgiveness toward others.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: